Xenonics NightHunter One - Troubleshoot

Icanseeyou

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I've had this NightHunter One lying around for years now. When I first got it used, it would work both on and off the charger. Worked perfect. Then I unhooked the charger to take it out one night fully charged, click click. No light. Put it back on the charger, it worked. Let it charge again, still no light off the charger. So I figured, ok, the battery has lived its life. I bought a replacement battery. Put it in, let it charge fully. Works still plugged into the charger, took it off the charger figuring good to go. Click click. No light. So the switch is working, bulb burns when on the charger. I've even tried it plugged in sans battery, worked. The guts are still in it and from what I can see, there isn't evidence of arcing, blown/swollen caps, blown resistors, etc.

Any words of warning or helpful advice while taking the plunge? IE, "whatever you do, under any circumstance don't...." etc.:thinking:

Icanseeyou

Newly Enlightened
The end all be all, no question about it answer is - 2 bad batteries.
So, I tore it all down a while back now. Found one suspicious looking diode, replaced it, still no go:sigh: Put it all back together, figured I got nothing to lose, so I started un-soldering one of the "blue brick" batteries from InnergyPower. Wouldn't you know it, half of the ten cells were obviously shot ie .7v vs. 2.1v. Well, I had two batteries, so I did the same with the other. Again, half of the cells were shot. Ok, take the two "good" halves, put them together to make one good battery. Sure, took a charge and got me back to the 22v, but only like 1.4 amps:mad: It was charging for well over 24 hrs, specs say 6.

With nothing to lose really, and fed up, I hooked up 2 car batteries in series (24v & more than enough current), hooked the light to those without the charger and hit the switch. It worked:twothumbs

What's really frustrating is when I bought the "NEW" battery, it was already shot and I didn't realize it. And it had never even powered up my light.