Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Just one problem wif my new SC600.
The light seems to switch off by itself after a few minutes.
It is not ramping down to a lower level at all.
It actually switches itself off.
It doesn't seem to be that hot at all.
And the only way to turn it back on is to untwist the tail cap, and re-tighten the tail cap.
I am using Ultrafire 2400 mAH Protected.
Will AW 2900 or Redilast 3100 fix the problem?
Or is it to do with the faulty electronics, and it should be exchanged with another SC600???

GlobalPlayer

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600 (1x18650, XM-L) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, comparisons & more!

Just one problem wif my new SC600.
The light seems to switch off by itself after a few minutes.
It is not ramping down to a lower level at all.
It actually switches itself off.
It doesn't seem to be that hot at all.
And the only way to turn it back on is to untwist the tail cap, and re-tighten the tail cap.
I had the same problem with a spark SL6 and it was a battery-problem.
Now I'm using Redilast 2600 and Sanyo unprotected and I have no more problems.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

During the daytime, the SC600's hot spot looks large, and dull, and next to a Jetbeam RRT-0 S2, the RRT-0's hot spot easily kills the SC600 for brightness and throw.
However, in the evening, the SC600's broad hot spot, and wide spill is so practical.

Good set of overall observations, but the 'during the daytime' comment seems irrelevant.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I received the SC600, I had to test it immediately during daytime; I couldn't wait till the evening :).
At night, the SC600's hot spot is large and less intense.
Side to side with an RRT-3 SST-50, the SST-50's hot spot is intensely blue white, yet small.

It's horses for courses.
I guess both types of beams are good, but in different ways.
At short distances, it is easier to view objects with an uniform floody light, and harder to view with an intense little hot spot and a darker surrounding spill.

I think the discharge rate of the Ultrafire 2400 Protected is too slow for the high amperage of the SC600, so I'll get 5x Redilast 3100 button tops, including four for a TM11 Triple XM-L which I will order now :naughty:.
If the Tiny Monster has electronic problems, I will send it back to Nitecore.
I see the Tiny Monster as the big brother to the SC600...

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Selfbuilt, you're right about reflector depth in small diameter reflectors.
I compared my SC600 with my friend's RRT-0 XM-L, and although both use XM-L emitters, and the SC600 has a noticeably larger diameter reflector, the RRT-0 XM-L still throws a tighter and more intense hot spot.
Thus, in small flashlights, reflector depth must play some role in increasing throw.
However, at larger reflector diameters, I still believe Big Chelis etc when they say that they have experimented with deeper reflectors, and there is no gain in throw at all.
The physics of throw is indeed a complex issue...

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, having used the SC600 for two days now, I find the electronic side button is actually easier to use than the magnetic ring!
Short press for hi.
Long press for low.
Another press for off.
When on, double click for secondary mode.
When on, long press to ramp from low, to medium, to hi.
Better than a magnetic ring; more energy efficient than a magnetic ring too!

We don't really need momentary.
We certainly don't need the strobe, but it can be programmed into one of the two levels of the hi mode.
Strobe may be better designed if it was triple presses???

The side switch is also much more relaxing and commonly used than a tail end clicky and the overhand/cigar grip.
We could have dual switches, but that will increase the length and weight of the SC600; so no.

Now, the only major drawback with the SC600 is the styling, which may need a more quality semi-polished semi-matt annodising, and a stainless steel bezel to lift up it's monotone natural finish like that used in Jetbeams and HDS.
There is certainly no need for the fancy box with magnetic flaps used in Jetbeams, coz this is unnecessarily polluting to the environment...

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

On thirds thoughts, having used to SC600 for 5 days now, both the electronic button and the magnetic ring designs are good, but in different ways.
The electronic button can be initially a bit complex to use, memorising the number of clicks necessary, and sometimes if the presses are not quick enough or too long etc, the low mode goes on, or the light starts ramping etc, however most of the times, the side switch is very simple to use with just simple thumb activation.

The magnetic ring is initially simpler to use - no number of clicks are required to be remembered.
We also get precisely what we want when manipulating a magnetic ring.
However, the ring requires both thumb and forefinger manipulation.
The SC600 is only a single 18650, but when the flashlight becomes large like 3x18650 in parallel, the large diameter magnetic ring becomes difficult to manipulate one-handed, and often two-handed operation is required, especially worse if the ring travel is long.

Both designs are pretty good, but in different ways.
The side button is more necessary in big flashlights...

Tracer

Newly Enlightened

I'm convinced, gonna order one.
Thnaks for the review!

levelflight

Newly Enlightened

For tail cap button pushers who rely on a tail cap switch on the end consider this:
With ZL lights it is very comfortable to hold the light in similar fashion and activate the switch with your little or your fourth finger, rather than your thumb. There is no significant comfort hit, although it does take a little acclimation to reliably operate the light in this fashion. Still, it gives you an easy shoulder level operating position and you have the additional option of using it like a traditional flashlight.
Best of both worlds if you ask me.
Now where is my H600 ZL???!!......can't wait for that.

levelflight

Newly Enlightened

Well no sooner said than I received notice that my H600s are on the way. Now that this backlog is moving everyone looking for the SC600W should be on the lookout. Gotta love those wheels in motion even though it takes a while everyone wins in the end.

minnstars

Newly Enlightened

Dang I really wanted to keep this light, but I'm returning mine because the elctronic switch appears to be defective. It worked great for about a week and then the light started to dim imediatedly after being started on high. By dim I mean really dim < 50 Lumen, not like going from 700 to 500 lumen, which is suppose to happen after 5 minutes. I have tried different batteries and played with the memory settings and it just keeps switching dim after a few seconds.

The form factor and potentail performance of this light are outstanding, but even when the light was functioning correctly I didn't care for the electronic switch, which IMO is overly complex and non-intuitive to operate. I'm sure if I didn't use the light for any length of time I would forget how to access all the settings and have to dust off the owners manual.

I don't think I'm going to get another Zebralight, but I'm still looking for a 1 x 18650 light with small form factor and relatively floody beam. What next?

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've owned my SC600 for 7 days now.

I still say the annodising is 2nd rate, and it lack ss bezel found on many lights like HDS and 4Sevens Maelstroms.
The SC600 is compact.
The 18650 is outstanding.

Now, I've finally worked out that the SC600's side switch has a perfect location, is very easy for the thumb to operate, but it is more difficult to get results.
Sometimes, if we inadvertently press too long, we get the low mode.
If we want the low mode, and we don't press long enough, we get hi.
If we press inadvertently too long, we also find the light ramping up from low, to med, to hi.

I've worked out that a magnetic ring is a touch harder to manipulate because it requires the operation of both the thumb and forefinger, but thereafter the magnetic ring gives precise results, from a low current standby, to low, continuously variable all the way to hi.
The magnetic ring does become awkward for one handed operation if the flashlight has a large diameter - then, it is better to go back to the side switch.

Speaking of which there is Zebralight's recessed side switch, and Nitecore TM11's flush side switch.
Zebralight's recess is superior.
The TM11's flush side switch requires complicated current draining standby's and lockouts to prevent accidental operation.
The flush switch even requires an led ring light for location in the dark, and that's why it also has a low battery indicator.

Also interesting was that I was using my SC600 for a walk, alongside my wife with her Jb TC-R2 XP-G S2.
Her Jetbeam is only compact and 16340 sized, yet it had a decent size hotspot, that is considerably brighter and throwier than the SC600.
Selfbuilt measures the SC600's throw at 145 meters.
There is no test for the TC-R2 nor RRT-0, however Selfbuilt measures the related BC10 @ 167 meters - that's about right.

The lesson I learnt is that the SC600 pure flooder is best for short distances, eg indoors and around the house.
For walks, we often look into the medium distance or long distance, and the SC600 flooder is not ideal here.
My wife's TC-R2 16340 S2 thrower actually did a better job for walks.
Or better still, we may want a single 18650 flood-thrower like an RRT-21, or TN11 etc.
Or, if we are happy to lug something big along, then take a Tiny Monster 4x18650 parallel with flood of 2000 lumens and 283 meters of throw?
The problem with walking with a big pure thrower, is that although it throws well, at short distances, it's just a small yet intense hot spot.
The big pure thrower is good for spotting possums, and fooling around..

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dang I really wanted to keep this light, but I'm returning mine because the elctronic switch appears to be defective. It worked great for about a week and then the light started to dim imediatedly after being started on high. By dim I mean really dim < 50 Lumen, not like going from 700 to 500 lumen, which is suppose to happen after 5 minutes. I have tried different batteries and played with the memory settings and it just keeps switching dim after a few seconds.

The form factor and potentail performance of this light are outstanding, but even when the light was functioning correctly I didn't care for the electronic switch, which IMO is overly complex and non-intuitive to operate. I'm sure if I didn't use the light for any length of time I would forget how to access all the settings and have to dust off the owners manual.

I don't think I'm going to get another Zebralight, but I'm still looking for a 1 x 18650 light with small form factor and relatively floody beam. What next?

once the ZL side clicky operation is understood, I rather like it, even slightly better than a magnetic ring control as on the Sunwayman V10R. As always, YMMV!

However the matter of an 18650 cell in the ZL SC600 is a challenge for the cell. CPF has many posted complaints about the SC600 dropping to some other light output. In most reported cases, the 18650 installed was an Ultrafire or Trustfire, or at least not an AW cell, no matter what the reported capacity was. No one using an AW 2200-2900 mah cell has reported a problem. High-power lights pull a high current from the battery! Many low-grade or worn-out cells cannot provide the required current. Besides which, there are many reports of fake Ultrafires, etc., mostly retrieved from old laptop battery packs. Before you dump your investment in the SC600, I would recommend the purchase of an AW2200 or higher protected cell.

Edited caveat: I do use Ultrafire cells (10440,14500, RCR123a) and have had good experiences with them. but I always purchase Lithium-xxx cells from reputable dealers. I avoid eBay and the like for Lithium-xxx cells. I have always purchased AW 18650 cells and always had good results.

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened

once the ZL side clicky operation is understood, I rather like it, even slightly better than a magnetic ring control as on the Sunwayman V10R.

Interesting comment. I've been considering Sunwayman for it's magnetic ring thinking it would be quicker, easier, and intuitive to get to the setting I want. One thing I don't like about my clicky lights is that I commonly get to my desired output setting by clicking through the settings I don't want. Examples: When I turn the light on, it isn't at the setting I want. Clicking too fast. Clicking too slow. Too many clicks. Clicking past the setting. I really want to click my light on, and just be where I want, or simply turn a dial.

Around the house I sometimes just want momentary light to check on something. I've been giving strong consideration to a momentary setting too.

But ZL gets a lot of attention, and the size is very attractive.

And just maybe, from you comment, the magnetic ring isn't that big of deal.

...Another idea just popped in my head. Sunwayman should get rid of the button, and just have the dial do everything; that would make it shorter.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

both systems - ZL UI and Sunwayman magnetic ring - have their advantages, and disadvantages.

The magnetic ring system is can be very precise for a specific light setting, but it is relatively slow to reach that setting. It would help if the ring had better tactile feel, probably some cross-hatching, so as to be easier to find. Once the ring is found, the ring is relatively sluggish to turn. If the original setting was at minimum, the ring requires a couple single-handed two-finger twists to reach full output. The ring can be very coarsely pre-positioned to some desired output before the clicky is depressed. Overall for single-hand usage, between the clicky and the ring, the ring is somewhat slow to manipulate to a desired level other than what it was first set at. SWM seems to have understood that problem with the controls for the V60 and at least one other light in that there is no clicky. The ring is turned all the way CCW to turn off, or CW to turn on and to the desired level. The psychological "impact" of suddenly a lot of lumens is lost though on some animal or perpetrator.

The Zebralight clicky UI is relatively easy to go to either full output (click and release) or to minimum (click slowly and release). or, alternatively, click and hold to cycle thru the output levels. At any of the 3 main levels, the double-click toggle for a minor output change is easy to use once understood.

One way to judge what I think about the two systems: I have maybe a half-dozen Zebralights and only two Sunwayman lights (V10R and V60). Although I use the Zebralights more on a daily basis, that is as much because of the 18650 cells as opposed to the UI differences. The long run-time on 18650 cells is a welcome relief from constantly changing RCR123s multiple times a day/night.

edit: I have a strong tendency towards single-cell lights, which would inherently restrict the run-time on RCR123 cells. But then I do not have to worry about cell voltage reversal. My 18650s are all protected. about 1/2 of my Lithium-xxx cells are protected. Why unprotected at all in a single-cell light? I very much do not like to suddenly lose illumination because the cell protection broke the circuit due to a low voltage. I would rather take the risk of cell damage but still have some light left even though the cell obviously needs to be charged.

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

both systems - ZL UI and Sunwayman magnetic ring - have their advantages, and disadvantages.

+1
I would also ad that magnetic rings do well on small flashlights, but can be very difficult to operate single-handedly on large flashlights, especially if the ring travel is long like a Jetbeam RRT-3; hence the V60C has fairly short ring travel.
The side clicky works well in both small and large flashlights...

wuhungsix

Newly Enlightened

Good job on the review. You sold me on one this morning. Just placed my order in with Illuminationgear. Can't wait.

BarryH

Enlightened

I also want to say thanks for the informative review and all the helpful comments following it.
Just placed my pre-order for an SC600W last night! :)

sdr

Newly Enlightened

howdy, all!

since i just ordered my SC600 last night i am devouring everything i can find about this little light, hence i am here! kudos on the most excellent review! i am really looking forwarding to having this little guy in my hand so i can experience my very first zebralight, up close and personal.

the light i ordered directly from ZL. the batteries and charger from GoingGear. hopefully the trustfire 2500 mAh 18650 protected batteries i ordered will be capable of operating this unit without any of the conflicts i've seen posted in this thread?

as my post count--or lack thereof--will indicate, i am not only new to this forum but also to these more refined sources of candle power. to date i have only used the lower end--read, tech lite, nebo--led's and maglites. by ordering this SC600 i feel somewhat worthy of posting in this forum. i will certainly jump in with more verbiage once my new ZL arrives. until, thanks again for the review and for all those who have enlightened my purchasing decision by contributing their experience and wisdom.

cheers!
10ldhipy.gif

*sdr*