Zoomable flashlight with an xm-l?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just browsing through some of the cheap flashlight websites and I noticed there are quite a few flood-to-throw lights with xm-l's in them.

I've always been a fan of this type of light, does anyone have any experience with any of them?

Thanks

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have developed a passion for zoomable lights. My experience so far is that the XML emitter is not suitable for zooming using lenses. There are sellers on the bay who list XML throwers but they do not perform as well as the smaller die emitters such as XRE or XPC.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn, I had a feeling that it might be too good to be true. Thanks for the info.

As far as I know the tk35 is not a flood-to-throw.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
They (aspherics) do the same thing with XM-L that they do with XR-E but they just don't throw as far and they aren't quite as efficient since the beam angle of the XM-L is wider than that of the XR-E.

If you want more lumen output on flood however they will do that.

DP Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Try this one out for size - it's called a Poppa - T6-XML - I recommend using 14400 batteries in it - it can use 3
T6fullhead455.jpg

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yezl had two different zoom XML lights for awhile, I own the smaller head one and it is decent

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that XM-L on an aspheric also makes for a terrible beam color a bluish square hotspot and a weirdly yellow and rainbow pattern on the outside.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone just pointed out in another thread that the Sipik SK98 just came out and it looks very promising since the sk68 is such a great light.

Definitely going to keep an eye on this one for a review.

Brian10962001

Newly Enlightened
I've found that XM-L on an aspheric also makes for a terrible beam color a bluish square hotspot and a weirdly yellow and rainbow pattern on the outside.

This is true, it could probably be fixed with a warm bin LED but if you're not too picky about color the XML flood through an aspheric is awe inspiring.

Someone just pointed out in another thread that the Sipik SK98 just came out and it looks very promising since the sk68 is such a great light.

Definitely going to keep an eye on this one for a review.

Review is up, it's a VERY nice light. My new daily carry :)

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Do some searching for the Fenix LD50. It's supposed to be out soon, flood to throw zoomable, 6 AA's and over 600 lumens. It might be what you're looking for. If I had to speculate, I'd see it hit the market around $100. Not exactly cheap but I'm definitely interested. I'd rather spend that on a flashlight where I know what I'm getting than spend 50 on ebay or amazon twice, still ending up with half the flashlight.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that sounds awesome. Probably could never afford it, but I will definitely keep my out for it. Thanks for the tip!