Why flashlights and guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moonburn

I value a good tool and am glad to have joined CPF to expand my collection of LED lights, and to learn from all of you good people. But why do flashlights seem to go hand in hand with guns on the forum here?

No offence meant against those who like to hunt, etc, or to the police members here who work so hard to serve and protect. For me, I associate great lights with a reverance for the outdoors, respect for conservation of the land and of energy, nature, and well made tools, too. That's a different world than the gun world, unless guns are purely for hunting. For our family and culture, guns might have their place for national defence or the police. Non Americans are really quite surprised at the level of gun ownership in the U.S., and disproportionate gun violence compared to other Western countries.

So, with respect, why do so many CPF members seem to be so into guns? Why do flashlights get shown at gunshows?

As other Westerners might see it, the right to bear arms refers to the citizenry, but not every cititzen's right to be allowed to have personal weaponry. So, to those of you who collect guns, again, I mean no argument.

Are there others besides myself here on CPF who are definitely not into guns, and don't choose to be around them, even at shows where cool flashlights can be seen??

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
A lot of it has to do with people wanting to be prepared. Whether that be being able to see in the dark, or to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

They're both tools used for different jobs. I'd rather not take this further and turn it into a Pi**ing match.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of a topic is probably better moved to the cafe, IMO.

Might want to edit your post and remove all the American/right to bear/crime rate etc. stuff out. It's like setting out a pan of gasoline and expecting it to not catch fire next to an ignition source. . .

To answer your question, I think it is a gadget thing. Guns are technical devices that can be tweaked and tuned and ordered up to match a specific purpose. Lots to be debated on what is best for this or that criterion. It is the same with lights.

Scott

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take no offense, but you are putting up a series of negatives if you're not meaning to pick a fight...
thinking.gif

I don't know where you are from or what your intentions are here, but there are a large number of people in the US that are not close to law enforcement. And there are a large number of people that live in areas that law enforcement doesn't respond to with quite lightning quickness for various reasons.

It comes down to this... we have the law and our free states don't infringe upon that. If you the President's kids have armed protection, why can't mine?

As to why guns and flashlights... I don't know. Around here, the main stores that have a selection of flashlights are gun shops, police shops and sporting goods stores, most of which also sell guns.

I guess it is about being prepared.

Edit - and as far as guns being an American phenomenon... it's not. There are plenty of guns in other countries as well... Canada, Finland, Norway... granted, most of those are for hunting and sport, but they have plenty there.

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
I agree with VWTIM.

I think its plausible that since you have the lights there to identify a potential threat to you or you family having something there to defend you and yours is a logical step. I don't know enough on the subject to really comment on most other areas in the US, but in my area almost everybody has some sort of weapon and a flashlight beside or near their bed. Whether or not it works as a deterrent is debatable. I think there may just be comfort derived from knowing that you can do something.

M

moonburn

beezaur said:
Might want to edit your post.
To answer your question, I think it is a gadget thing. Guns are technical devices that can be tweaked and tuned and ordered up to match a specific purpose. Lots to be debated on what is best for this or that criterion. It is the same with lights.

Scott

Thank you, Beezaur.

colubrid

Enlightened
Actually Cravitz this post of moonburn violates my conscience. Maybe its because I am an American and proud of it. I don't feel I should tip-toe around an issue that our young soldiers have died for trying to uphold.

Empath

Flashaholic
I would imagine that psychologically, the appreciation of craftsmanship and machining have a close relationship between appreciation of firearms and flashlights. I'd think the topic could be a matter of interesting discussion. As approached here, the finesse required to discuss it with respect and civility seems lacking. The topic too, seems not simply of flashlights, but firearms along with reasons and rights for having them. They're topics better suited for our off-topic discussion forum, The Cafe.

The thread will remain closed, and will be moved to the Cafe. The discussion, as discussed here, would be better discussed in the Underground. The discussion, if discussed in the CPF mandated respectful fashion can be attempted in the Cafe with a new thread, but don't be surprised if it too ends up derailed .

Some need advised to please keep in mind that civility and respect is expected. Failure to do so, likely will result in stronger efforts from CPF administration to convince you of the necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.