PTS / IMS 20mm reflector too tall?

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
I trying to put together a PTS-D, 3xTV1J, 3xSO20XA combo. When I attempt to screw down the bezel, it doesn't go all the way in (like the reflectors are too tall). Has anyone run into this problem? Do I have to trim the reflectors?
BTW, the legs for the reflectors are down in the notches of the star, not sitting on top.

Thanks,
baker

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any of the parts other than the stars but a Lux I version of this is probably my next project.

Anyway, I'm trying to envision what's going on and I'm wondering, if you back the head off several turns so that you can screw the lens ring down properly, then snug the head down... might that help?

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
Hmm...I'll have to triple check that I'm setting everything up correctly, but I've tried a few times and it just seems as though the height of the heatsink/star/reflector is too much.

baker

flash

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at this link: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/images/pts019wi.jpg

baker, the type-o is the one on top...it's noticably thicker than the other ones. I think that I wanted to make my own tri-lux setup. Let me know if the reflectors don't work out...I may just want to buy those off you.

Also, I was curious to know what kind of setup you are using to power that thing.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PTS c cell one is thicker, but you mentioned you have the D one so it's probably the optics one.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh... I was going to buy one of these from Modamag's big sale, but I didn't know what the difference between the PTS-D and the PTS-D Type O was.

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
flash said:
Take a look at this link: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/images/pts019wi.jpg

baker, the type-o is the one on top...it's noticably thicker than the other ones. I think that I wanted to make my own tri-lux setup. Let me know if the reflectors don't work out...I may just want to buy those off you.

Also, I was curious to know what kind of setup you are using to power that thing.

Mine is the bottom right one. So, that looks like the correct sink, then. I'll have to mess around with it some more tonight and see if I'm doing something wrong.

I'm swapping the pts in to a mag/tv1j/hotlips combo w/ the nflex. I use an external water bottle battery pack (14.8v 4ah li ion). Actually, though, I'm considering going w/ a homemade housing instead of the mag now. The mag is oversized and overweight for my application.

baker

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Baker: The one you order is a PTS-C (MagC) it does not have the body extrusion like the PTS-D. I believe the shop is out of PTS-D. If you send me your I'll swap it with a PTS-D for you free of charge.

Here's the nomiclature break down of most of my heatsinks
XXX#-S-FFFF...

XXX#- ... first three character indicate model number. The optional fourth character indicate revision number.
PTS- (Perfect Tri Sink) ... 3x Luxeon Star
PQS- (Perfect Quad Sink) ... 4x Luxeon Emitter old style slug
PQS2- (Perfect Quad Sink) ... 4x Luxeon Emitter new style slug
PFS- (Perfect Fix Sink) ... Welch Allen hotwire sink
PHS- (Perfect Hotwire Sink) ... Variable focus hotwire sink, can be used with any bi-pin bulb.

S- ... next character indicate size of Mag host
D- ... Indicate MagD host
C- ... Indicate MagC host

FFFF ... remaining character are used for special feature or limited production run.
TypeO ... Fraen/NX05 optic version (instead of IMS SO20XA reflectors)
Cu ... copper version (instead of 6061 aluminum)

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
modamag said:
Baker: The one you order is a PTS-C (MagC) it does not have the body extrusion like the PTS-D. I believe the shop is out of PTS-D. If you send me your I'll swap it with a PTS-D for you free of charge.

Thanks for the response. I spec'd a pts-d ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1168983&postcount=88 ) but maybe just ended up w/ the wrong one. Let me take a pic tonight of the heatsink I have so you can verify I have the wrong one before sending it back.

edit: The bottom of my heatsink does look like the lower left one in the referenced photo. I may still just being doing something boneheaded in the way I'm putting it all together... I'll take some pics tonight and post them for further input.

baker

Last edited:

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
OK, here are a few pics...as you can see, when I tighten the bezel down as far as I can, there are still several threads showing. This is really tight, too.

SeeThreads.jpg

TopView.jpg

SideView.jpg

UpsideDown.jpg

baker

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
does your maglite have serial number on the body?
it looks like the PTS-D is caught on something as it went down. Is it sitting flushed on the shoulder?

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
modamag said:
does your maglite have serial number on the body?
it looks like the PTS-D is caught on something as it went down. Is it sitting flushed on the shoulder?

Looks like the sink is seated flush w/ the shoulder. The mag is definitely old. I can't even remember when I bought it. Serial # is D39010321.

thanks,
baker

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sand, or grind off a bevel on the bottom of the pts sink to get it to drop in a little further.
The bottom of the mag head is not as squared as a pts is.
This will also ensure maximum thermal transfer for your leds.
I have had to do this with some of modamags and b2eze's stuff I have bought in the past.
They all sat in there all the way in when I did that little grinding trick with a cordless Dremel.
This is what allowed me to start putting four 5 watt leds into a 2c maglite. :)

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd shift, not quite sure if I follow what your talkinga bout. The protrusion on the back side of the PTS D?

daBear

Enlightened
I have the same issue using a Quad sink, PQS in two Mag D's. With both of them the bezel ring will not screw all the way down and leaves threads showing. Plus I am using emitters in this mod not stars. The IMS 20 is sitting squarely on the shoulder of the emitters and the legs are on the sink. I think I will look at grinding the shoulder of the mag head down a little.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
3rd shift, not quite sure if I follow what your talkinga bout. The protrusion on the back side of the PTS D?

The bottom of the heatsinks is like this. _______|

It needs to be more like this. ______/
to fit the shape of the bottom of the mag head.
Because the bottom "landing" where the sink is supposed to make touchdown is not squared like this. ______|

None of the sinks I have gotten from modamag, or b2eze have ever sat all the way down into a mag head until I beveled the bottom outer edges of the sinks.

Smear something on the bottom shoulder of the mag head.
Drop in the sink, then pull it out.
Notice that the sink barely touched the stuff that you smeared on the mag head's inner shoulder.
It didn't sit all the way in there... Not good.
You need to bevel the "obstruction" the get the dern thing to drop all the way in there.