Modifying Streamlight TLR-2 IR Eye Safe Reflector/Face cap?

midwestmonster

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had success modifying the face cap of a Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-2?

I have an old Streamlight TLR-2 IR Eye Safe (Model 69166) and it puts out a significant amount of IR light, but it's all flood and very little throw.

I'd like to try modding it with a condenser or other lens to have much more thrown and cut down on some of the flood.

For the latest version of the light, the TLR VIR-II, a company has made a clamp on 3D printed housing that holds a small NIR coated lens over the IR emitter and does what I'm looking for, but something similar on the TLR-2 would block the laser unless a channel was cut to allow the laser to pass through.

The issue I'm running into is how to completely disassemble the face cap to get the lens out and get access to the reflector.
It appears as though there's a bezel on the end of the face cap that holds the lens in, but so far I haven't been able to get it off of the spare face cap I have.

Any ideas? I would appreciate any advice someone can give me.

If I can get it open, what kind of condenser lens do I need to install?
So far I've been looking at plano-convex and aspheric, but I'm new to all of this and have no idea what I'm doing.

Pictures for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_5754.JPG
    IMG_5754.JPG
    356.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5756.JPG
    IMG_5756.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5758.JPG
    IMG_5758.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5759.JPG
    IMG_5759.JPG
    393.8 KB · Views: 36

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector is threaded into black bezel of face cap.
While holding face cap bezel, unscrew the reflector using pair of needle nose pliers and remove reflector.
When removing lens, make sure put it back the rubber seal same way.

midwestmonster

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, I tried that and no luck. Even tried channel locks and vice grips and that bezel wouldn't budge.

I've got a spanner wrench on the way and going to try that next on my spare face cap but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some thread locker holding the bezel on.

midwestmonster

Newly Enlightened
Abandoning this project…turns out the face cap/reflector I previously installed were from a white light TLR.

Reached out to Streamlight to confirm the part number because I was going to order more for T&E and they gave me a different part number for an IR specific face cap.

Ordered a couple and installed one and now it throws exactly the way I wanted/expected it to with much less flood.