AmiLite/CPF Special (and others) compared

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's been a GREAT week at the ol' mail box! I received three (...count 'em: THREE!!!) new lights, and a Traser H3 tritium diver's watch (you can read about that in the Knives, Watches and Multitool forum)!

This isn't gonna be a "review" of the lights, per say; just a quick comparison of their relative output using the ol' MK-1 standard issue eyeball as the guage.

The players: Peak LED Solutions CPF Special; Amilite Neo T3; iLUMiBEAM ULTEON TF-1; and Peak LED Solutions Mediterranean (SS).
Everyone should be familiar with the two Peaks and the AmiLite; here's a link to the iLUMiBEAM:

http://cgi.ebay.com/iLUMiBEAM-ULTEO...t_W0QQitemZ8732070336QQcategoryZ16037QQssPage

I'll apologize in advance for my lack of pics...as stated in another thread, I don't own a digicam, probably due to the fact that I've spent all of my $$ on LIGHTS (...go figure...).

Without a bunch of "pomp and ceremony", I'll say right off the bat that the CPF Special just plain blows all the others away in terms of throw AND overall output. You don't need a lux-meter or an integrating sphere to confirm that...it's THAT obvious! It's the hands-down winner. The suprising thing is how well the Mediterranean did against the highly touted AmiLite! To my naked eye, the AmiLite appears to be a hair (...and I mean a HAIR!) brighter than the Mediterranean. I will add that the emittor on the AmiLite is obviously a "better" bin. It's VERY white, while the Mediterranean has an OBVIOUS HIDish blue tint. That's NOT a flaw on the part of the Mediterranean. I specifically asked for and received an emittor of this color temperature from Peak on my Mediterranean! That's a tribute to their CS! Coming in behind the others (albeit, not by much!) is the iLUMiBEAM TF-1. I hafta say that for a light that costs about $28.00 plus shipping, this light is very nice, and has pretty good output for a 1 watter. It has a tight beam that's suprisingly smooth for using a smooth reflector, and has a very nice, wide spill beam. The color of the output has an HIDish blue tint that others may not be too keen on...but I find it very pleasing; in fact, I almost PREFER it. The "hype" on the e-bay link where I purchased the iLUMiBEAM says it's brighter than a QIII. In the hotspot, I'd definitely agree! I've owned three "stock" QIII's and the iLUMiBEAM has a noticeably brighter hotspot than any of my QIII's had. However, the QIII's, to my recollection had a noticeably brighter outer corona to the hotspot, as well as outer corona/spill light. As far as diameter of the spill light is concerned, the iLUMiBEAM is the widest, followed by the AmiLite, and then the Peaks (the spill light of the Mediterranean and CPF Special are identical in diameter... the Special being MUCH brighter obviously).

As far as throw is concerned, I'll hafta edit this post later, after I've had a chance to pla...er, I mean, do some "scientific comparisons" after it gets dark (...yeah, THAT's the ticket...scientific comparisons!). However, I KNOW before I even attempt the throw comparison that the CPF Special WILL win. It's just gonna be a matter of determining the order of the other three. I'll get back on the throw comparison later tonight.

EDIT Well, I just got done doing my "unscientific throw test"...since there's a relatively bright moon outside, I did this: I stood 65 feet away from my opened garage door, and shined all of the "players" to the back of my 35 foot deep garage, for a distance of 100 feet, and simply determined which light lit the back wall of the garage the brightest (...once again, only using my MK-1, standard issue eyeball as the "guage"). The results are as follows: as already anticipated, the CPF Special won hands down. It lit up the back of my garage like it was mid morning...no suprises there. The AmiLite just BARELY edged out the Mediterranean, and I attribute that as much to beam tint as I do intensity. I had to go back and forth between these two lights MANY times to determine a "winner", because the difference was that negligable. From an overall performance standpoint, I'd have to give the edge to the Mediterranean over the AmiLite because of it's published/tested longer run-time with almost identical "real world" performance. I know and I've read what the "numbers" say on Quickbeam's site; but in my "un-sterile" testing environment, this is in fact how they panned out. The big suprise here is that the iLUMiBEAM did VERY well against the high-dollar competition! The intensity of it's beam against the back of my garage was dimmer than the Mediterranean and AmiLite...but not by very much as far as the naked eye is concerned! The main difference here is that the Mediterranean and the AmiLite lit up a noticably LARGER area at the back of the garage with their full intensity. The iLUMiBEAM has a noticably tighter beam than the other players, but it's damn near as intense at a distance!

All in all, these are ALL some very nice lights that all have their good points, and not many bad points to note. YMMV...I hope this comparison was helpful to some (in spite of not having pics) as far as making a determination of which light to get, if you were undecided on one or another. HERE's an idea...buy them ALL!!! I did!

PJD

Last edited:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing I'd like to add concerning the CPF Special; the RCR123 used in the comparisons was NOT fresh off the charger. I'd used it for about 15-20 minutes the day before when I was testing out the tail switch received from Peak, and it's performance was STILL head and shoulders above the competition...VERY impressive!

PJD

Somy Nex

Enlightened
excellent report PJD :) :thumbsup:

i'm absolutely chomping at the bit here, waiting for my lights to arrive, and even more so now! :huh: should be another week hopefully, but probably two knowing the postal system here :awman:

cheers =)

2low

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying the Ilumibeam as an EDC for the past couple weeks and really like it....its a nice solid luxeon 1 watter. I am drooling at the CPF special which I will be ordering Friday....can hardly wait for this one which will no doubt become my first choice EDC.

Peace,
gil

onthebeam

Enlightened
PJD,

I have the Caribbean, which is much like the Mediterrean, and the new Amilite. My question is on your impressions of the Peak Special. You mention how much brighter it is. What about for closeup work, or around the house. In my experience, a light with a super bright hotspot, such as the ProPoly AA Luxeon, is great for throw but has to much glare for up close or casual work at home. Would the CPF special also fall into this category? The Amilite has such a smooth beam and wide spill that it's very versatile. I'm interested in the Special, and we're all wowed at first by bright lights, but is it practical for up close work? Thanks for your insights and great review.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
onthebeam...for up-close work, the beam of the CPF Special is wide enough, but IMHO, I think it's too bright for up-close tasks. It's a BLAZER on RCR123's! OTOH, the CPF Special with a regular CR123 cell is PERFECT for up-close tasks...and it'll run for a lloooonnnngggg time on a regular 123 cell. With both types of cells (RCR123/CR123), the CPF Special should be able to met just about any lighting need! It's incredibly versatile...Hope that helps!

2low...I took a chance last night and tried using one of the RCR123 cells from my CPF Special in my iLUMiBEAM. The result was EXCELLENT! On the RCR123 cell, the iLUMiBEAM intensifies NOTICABLY! I left mine on for about 5 minutes straight, and there were no noticable ill effects. The body of the light got a little warm, but not nearly as warm as the AmiLite or the CPF Special. In fact, the performance was so much better with the RCR123 (overall output AND throw) that I'm thinking of getting a couple more RCR123's and running them exlusively in the iLUMiBEAM! To my "enmetered eyeball", the iLUMiBEAM on the RCR123 is AS BRIGHT as the AmiLite and the Mediterranean! I'm pretty tickled!

PJD

onthebeam

Enlightened
PJD said:
onthebeam...for up-close work, the beam of the CPF Special is wide enough, but IMHO, I think it's too bright for up-close tasks.

To my "enmetered eyeball", the iLUMiBEAM on the RCR123 is AS BRIGHT as the AmiLite and the Mediterranean! I'm pretty tickled!

PJD

Thanks PJD. One more question. I think the Mediterrean is close in brightness to the Caribbean although I only own the Caribbean. Do you find your Mediterrean too bright for close up work, like you do the CPF Special on R123s???

Doug has the Med. rated at 18 overall and 29 throw. The Carib is rated at 25 overall and 28 throw. The Amilte is rated at 35 overall and 34 throw and is nice for up close work, too, in my early experience with the light.

That's cool news on the Ilumibeam. Sounds like a good buy. . .

Lastly, is the CPF special the same size exactly as the Med??

Last edited:

2low

Newly Enlightened
PJD, thats great news and a hell of an idea using RCR's on the Ilumibeam....I plan on getting a couple extra of those batts when I order my CPF special. Thanks for the spark! :)

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
onthebeam...contrary to Doug's numbers, I found the output and throw of the AmiLite and Mediterranean to be MUCH closer. His overall output reading of 18 on the Mediterranean seems incredibly low, and his throw number of 29 on the Med compared to 28 on the Caribbean ALSO seems quite low. Both the Med and the Car have the same driver with the only difference being the larger bezel/reflector of the Med. Their overall output should be a LOT closer, and the Med's throw number should be NOTICABLY higher. I found the Med and AmiLite to be VERY close to one another in throw AND output. IMHO, I don't think the Med's output is too bright for close-up tasks, but it's pushing it! I still think the CPF Special on regular 123 cells is perfect for up-close.

PJD

onthebeam

Enlightened
PJD said:
I still think the CPF Special on regular 123 cells is perfect for up-close.

PJD
Understood, but I don't think it's very convenient to have to swap out battery type just to get a lower beam for closeup work. To vary the output, it's so much easier to use a variable power or two stage light, rather than swap batteries, don't you think?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
my question is about the run time for the CPF Special. after all if it's say 50% power in 30 min, then my FENIX 1LP would start to catch up on a single AA !

The powerful rechargable batteries on the CPF Special make it tempting. my concern here is the shelf life of the RCR123s.
sounds like the AMILITE is more powerful than the Peak Carribean.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
while the caribean may have been close in throw... it has less output, and that is why it has better battery life. The CPF special seems like a really nice light. I wonder if it beats KL1.

-David

Last edited:

tvbi

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any idea on the run time of the iLUMiBEAM?

Last edited: