What is THE BRIGHTEST 3W LED. . .

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wonder what THE BRIGHTEST 3 watt Luxeon is. . . . . . . regardless of color.

I'm wanting to upgrade the LED in a DIRECT DRIVE (3 C batteries) Mag, using the Mag reflector, to produce the brightest spot I can.

I'd prefer a white, but another color might actually prove visually brighter.

Any suggestions as to which one I'd want to look for? . . . . . . . . And where I would get one?

Thanks!

Orion

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there is a 170 lumen red/orange. Can't find the thread right now....:shrug:

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrdctaylor said:
I bought a DB-3W from led-replacement.com (http://www.led-replacement.com/db-3w.html). I like it.

Thanks for the input. Though, that one on your link wouldn't be THE BRIGHTEST 3watt available, plus I'm running the O-sink, so I wouldn't be able to use that product.

Anyway, back to the topic,

Would a cyan be the most visible? Would the new U bin white be promising for what I'm after?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a R/D running direct drive on 3 AAA cells. I think it puts out the most actual light of any of my Lux IIIs but the hotspot is very large. I have very little doubt that as far as measuring lumens out the end of a light of a single Lux III, the brightest Red/Oranges would have to be the winner but I doubt it would throw as far as a white. The brighter Royal Blues make for intense lights but should be used with caution as they are nearing the UV range but with LOTS of visible light. To my eyes, the RB and R/O are the brightest of the Lux IIIs I've tried.

I have five or six colored Lux IIIs, all running in either Sam's Element Lights or Dorcy Metal Gears and in general, the colored lights have wider hotspots.

As for whites, of course it will come down to the individual emitter you get but I have a UX1L at 937ma and a UW0K that can be run at 1000ma on an nFlex and the UX1L is visibly brighter and has a little more defined hotspot.

Some of the colored Lux IIIs need less voltage and it might be a good idea to use a resistor depending on what you get. The R/Os I've used can run fine on the 3 alkaline cells.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, the R/O may be the brightest 'on paper', but I'm wanting that "pencil beam" pattern and the most visible color. So, I guess I'm now asking which bin would show up best? Before, the Cyan was the most visible. Is this no longer the case?