Nuwai pronunciation?

Learjet

Enlightened
Ok this is driving me nuts. Search didn't seem to work even though I'm sure someone must have asked before. What's the proper way to pronounce "Nuwai"? Is it new-eye, new-way, new-eee, something else?

I can't go another day without knowing lol. :thinking: :help:

Amadeus93

Newly Enlightened
I've been pronouncing it "new-why", but then again, I've also been pronouncing Luxeon as "looks-ee-on", when it's apparently "lucks-ee-on"...
:ohgeez:

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I don't have it. You are going to be more confused. Both syllables can be mean can have different meanings in three different Chinese tongues. The first syllable can have 7 characters and the second has 4 characters. The pronunciation can be, oh, you are not going to be ready for this:

Nuuuu-why
NUuuu-wyyh
Nuuuu-WHY
Nu-WHY

Two loose translations for the word are:

1. Makes great effort/outside, devious
2. Angry, slaved, dull; stupid/outside, devious

Hmmm, which definition would NUuuuuuu-wyyh be?

My Chinese wife and her Chinese friend are arguing the pronunciation right now. I'm listening to them very quietly, hiding, in the back up computer room.

Navck

Enlightened
Nee-Wa
Pronouced like Knee for the Nee part. "Wa" like in wauhhh (Deathscream in movies)
Being able to speak Catonese helps me on guessing

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
True Blue,

Your post was AWESOME!!! Thanks guys, this issue has bugged me like an itch in the center of my back I just couldnt reach. Consider it more than scratched now! Fascinating about the various definitions. I naturally gravitated to "new WHY" although "nude guy" had me LOL!!!