Modding the Fenix L1P

tron3

Banned
I know, the Fenix L1P is made so well (5 star ratings) that the thought of modding one is almost sacrilege.

Certain flashlights like Inova's and the Striker-VG has much success in amplifying light output with the aid of magnification.

Is there such a mod for the Fenix L1P? If so, web links is GREATLY appreciated. I couldn't be the only one who wants to double the output.:grin2:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magnification? You mean using the optic? I think it would be difficult to make an optic work in the Fenix, plus it would make the head much larger than what it currently has. The reason I don't like the T3/X03 and the Striker is because the heads are HUGE! I mean, the head of the Striker is larger than the entire Fenix flashlight!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova beams, with no sidespill, are what I DON'T want.

Hard to beat the L1Ps beam to me.

Different strokes for different folks.

tron3

Banned
Hookd_On_Photons said:
It is apparently difficult to get the head apart to mod it.
I'm not sure how much more the optical system could be improved.

Well, that is my point. If it can not be modded, I wish they would make one with a magnified emitter. Better throw, more light, more bright. Doesn't have to be a fat head, just a magnifier lens.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
Well, that is my point. If it can not be modded, I wish they would make one with a magnified emitter. Better throw, more light, more bright. Doesn't have to be a fat head, just a magnifier lens.

But... but... the physics behind optics dictates that if you want a tighter beam that throws farther with no black spots inbetween the edges of brightess, the optic will need to be longer and bigger in diameter.

That's kinda why all the lights that are good throwers that use optics have relatively large heads. I mean, I know what you want, but it's just not quite possible. If it were as easy as just typing words on an internet forum, Surefire would have no R&D department!

Personally, I'd like a light the size of the Inova X1 with HAIII coating that has 5 levels of output ranging from 1 to 80 lumens and has a reflector that self-adjusts from uberthrow on the highest setting to all flood on the lowest two settings and a nice balance of throw and flood for the two remaining settings. Best of all, it wouldn't even have a switch, it would just know which level I wanted from reading my thoughts. It would run for 20 years from a new and completely safe hydrogen power supply and I'd like my choice of Sarah McLachlan, Winona Ryder, Rachael Weisz Carla Gugino or Amelia Warner to bring it to me whenever I think about it and then stick around for a while afterwords.
naughty.gif

Just because you 'want' something doesn't mean it's possible. Small reflectors are generally going to be floody, larger reflectors tent to generally be throwy. It's just physics, dude.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:

An optic won't increase that light that comes out of an emitter, it only changes the beam characteristics of the light that leaves the emitter. It won't make more light, just focus the light out of the emitter in a smaller area so that that smaller area is brighter than the area lit by the same amount of light spread out over a wider area in the non-optic configuration.

My understanding is that you want a narrow spot beam rather than a wide beam. Is that correct?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every light made is a trade-off of competing performance and cost interests. What makes the Fenix L1P successful is a popular combination of throw, spill, lumen output, power consumption, size, weight, finish, and cost. You might personally wish for a different combination of features, but there is no free lunch and the market at large might find it a less desireable light. I personally would not want the L1P to be made to give greater throw, because it necessarily would result in either less spill or shorter battery life or greater size or some combination thereof, and hence a less useful light to me.

tron3

Banned
LightObsession said:

My understanding is that you want a narrow spot beam rather than a wide beam. Is that correct?

In reality, I want the impossible, or near impossible. I want something that will create a better flood light, yet still have lots of throw. I think I have seen this before. The reflector dish is kinda beveled or something to create throw and lots of spill beam.

You don't have to enlarge the head like a string ballon. Just modify the existing reflector dish. Little experimenting never hurt. Besides, what is the reflector dish made from? Is it possible to have a superpolished surface, thus increasing the light output?

I know, I know...I want the world. But how many of you here would like to see this baby in black titanium, instead of aluminum? :naughty:
:wow: <Hands out drool napkins>.

If I had influence at Fenix, these are the kinds of things I would do. Titanium ones would be shorter collectors runs which naturally would cost a lot more.

For example: A light just like the L1P with several differnces. 3w r-bin Led. 3.0V rechargeable battery of AA size. HAIII aluminum, or (collectors) black titanium. Call me nuts, but I know you guys would buy one.

savumaki

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
But... but... the physics behind optics dictates that if you want a tighter beam that throws farther with no black spots inbetween the edges of brightess, the optic will need to be longer and bigger in diameter.

That's kinda why all the lights that are good throwers that use optics have relatively large heads. I mean, I know what you want, but it's just not quite possible. If it were as easy as just typing words on an internet forum, Surefire would have no R&D department!

Personally, I'd like a light the size of the Inova X1 with HAIII coating that has 5 levels of output ranging from 1 to 80 lumens and has a reflector that self-adjusts from uberthrow on the highest setting to all flood on the lowest two settings and a nice balance of throw and flood for the two remaining settings. Best of all, it wouldn't even have a switch, it would just know which level I wanted from reading my thoughts. It would run for 20 years from a new and completely safe hydrogen power supply and I'd like my choice of Sarah McLachlan, Winona Ryder, Rachael Weisz Carla Gugino or Amelia Warner to bring it to me whenever I think about it and then stick around for a while afterwords.
naughty.gif

Just because you 'want' something doesn't mean it's possible. Small reflectors are generally going to be floody, larger reflectors tent to generally be throwy. It's just physics, dude.

:huh2: I like mine the way it is, or at least I thought I did..........ahgggg...........any idea when this model comes out.:popcorn:

Karl

TenPin

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
naughty.gif

Can someone please make this, sure it would cost alot but that wouldn't stop anyone here buying it ;)