2007 Camry Re-Design

onthebeam

Enlightened
I have been looking at several pics of it tonight. Once the look of "newness" wears off, I don't think it's a strong departure in styling, and not nearly as fashion forward as we were told it would be. It's a little lower and a bit more streamlined like the Maxima or Mazda 6, which it borrows heavily from in the grille styling.

I remember when the current 2002-2006 Camry came out and everybody thought it was a super mod streamlined style that initially got rave reviews for looks. Then, within a couple of years, everyone said it looked bland. Now the new style is said to be a big departure, and to my eyes, it's really not.

So, we'll see how this shakes out. I had hoped it would be MUCH better looking. The interior looks cheap compared to the current version.

We have a 2005 Camry LE and like it very much, following having a 1996 model before that. The only downside, sometimes sluggish acceleration.

Flashlight Enthusiast
onthebeam said:
I have been looking at several pics of it tonight. Once the look of "newness" wears off, I don't think it's a strong departure in styling, and not nearly as fashion forward as we were told it would be. It's a little lower and a bit more streamlined like the Maxima or Mazda 6, which it borrows heavily from in the grille styling.

I remember when the current 2002-2006 Camry came out and everybody thought it was a super mod streamlined style that initially got rave reviews for looks. Then, within a couple of years, everyone said it looked bland. Now the new style is said to be a big departure, and to my eyes, it's really not.

So, we'll see how this shakes out. I had hoped it would be MUCH better looking. The interior looks cheap compared to the current version.

We have a 2005 Camry LE and like it very much, following having a 1996 model before that. The only downside, sometimes sluggish acceleration.

My 2003 LE accelerates well, but I gots the V6 model. It bugs me though that Honda's 3.0 liter V6 (Accord) gets 50 HP more than my 3.0 liter V6....Honda must have more efficient engines.....having said this, I wouldn't trade my car in for an Accord, I don't like the stiff, choppy ride of the Accords I test drove.

I am hoping that the 2007 also has a more powerful engine in V6 trim...something more like 250 HP rather than the current 190 HP. I hope that the non-sport versions (LE and XLE) don't start tightening up their suspension though...I like the Camry for the nice ride....if they start going the Nissan or Honda route with stiff suspensions I couldn't justify paying more for a Toyota (vs a Honda Accord).

I like the way Toyota is going with the Avalon and Camry exterior design, they look a little more sporty, but still looks classy to me.

I agree with your assessments of the interior....I wasn't impressed with the 07 interior quality from the photos.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Eh, hmm, uh...

To be honest, I think that the looks are only okay. Toyota very much tends to stay conservative with these things.

That said, I think it is an attractive design.

What really intrigues me is the fact that Toyota is putting that stompin' 268 horse motor in it.

For years, the toyota generally offered less ponies than the accord. 197 to the 200, then 225 to 240.

Now, the accord has climbed to 244 (using the new SAE J606 standard if I've got my facts straight) and the toyota has climbed to 268, trumping honda in the v6 game for the first time in recent memory. Using the old SAE horsepower testing, the honda was going to be rated at 255 horses to toyota's 280.

I've argued this point before: these are the days of horsepower. Where so many folks like to point back to the 'musclecar' era, I think there are more performance cars today than there were back then. Other than a dozen or so really notable cars, there was a lot of slow junk back then. We are now faced with 240+ horsepower altimas, 265 horse maximas, 268 horse camrys, 244 horse accords, 303 horse impalas, 340 horse chargers, 340 horse chrysler 300's (same motor), 340 horse dodge stationwagons (same motor), and on and on.

And then there is the 400 horse GTO, the slew of SRT-8 420-425 horse chryslers, 230 horse neons and PT cruisers, supercharged cobalts, 300 horse mustangs, red hot STi's and EVO MR's, 400 horse SS Trailblazers, etc.

Heavens, they've got 500 horse puckup trucks out there, and 450+++ horsepower mustangs on the horizon. :drool:

I could go on, but my fingers would get too tired.

And let's remember, these horsepower numbers are not just net, but a new standard 'net' as opposed to the older, fradulant 'gross' ratings.

These are indeed the days of good motoring.:grin2:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree abou the HP. And Lexus has the 305 HP IS 350, and 300'ish HP LS 430 and SC 430, GS 430.

And rumors have it that Lexus is building an SC 500 for their next SC redesign, built on a V10 engine. Good nos what kind of HP that engine will develop.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
357 said:
I agree abou the HP. And Lexus has the 305 HP IS 350

Man, I forgot that one. It's 306 horses, IIRC. Number sticks in my haid because of the strange odd, not rounded to a '5' number.

Yea, the car mags (I'm also a caraholic) all have generally tested that thing out at about 13.8 seconds in the quarter, really blistering performance for an atmospheric v6. They also said it's a hunky little bruiser in town, not feeling weak-kneed in the low range.

And to also add stuff from the 'lower' range, I notice that the Hundai Sonata v6 is something like 237 horses now, and 0-60 in 6.6 seconds per the mags. And they've got a new one that I can't remember the name (Azera?) that has something like 265-268 horses from a 3.8 liter motor. And this is Hundai!!!

You know, you bring up a really interesting point. I recently shuttled my father in law back up to north carolina (from florida) in his camry, and the exact thought that went through my head at the end of the journey was how nice the ride is in the camry. My friends have accords, TSX's and RSX's, and those little birds *do* ride firm. I have an altima, and it also rides more firm. For covering a lot of road miles, I think you're right on the money with the camry's ride.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sleestak said:
You know, you bring up a really interesting point. I recently shuttled my father in law back up to north carolina (from florida) in his camry, and the exact thought that went through my head at the end of the journey was how nice the ride is in the camry. My friends have accords, TSX's and RSX's, and those little birds *do* ride firm. I have an altima, and it also rides more firm. For covering a lot of road miles, I think you're right on the money with the camry's ride.

In my case, I transitioned from Cadillac Deville (great soft ride, very poor reliability and disapointing quality mine had) to Japanese, and the Camry and Avalon was the only (non-Lexus) cars I test drove that could match the Deville ride. The ride quality sold me on the car, plus they have a good reputation for holding up...which was another thing I wanted after YEARS of major trouble with Buicks and Caddies. I'm use to and have been spoiled by American "Freeway cruisers" for years.... and handling isn't a concern for me since I do es not drive aggressively. Finding a more reliable "Japanese freeway cruiser" was a pleasant surprise.

Those Hyundai Korean cars are actually very nice for their price my opinion says....when they first came out they were junk I recall, but the latest ones I've been impressed with....not enough to buy one, but enough to recommend to friends as a good value car...

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another interstresting twist to Toyota on their website, the Rav-4 has been made BIGGER, and now has a V-6 option that has 260+ HP....

I've always felt that a V-6 Rav-4 (or even a future V6 Honda CRV) would sell well....the puny inline 4s they put in these vehicles are grossly underpowered, even for a baby SUV....