1st Light - G2 came in!

hquan

Enlightened
I got my first light in the mail today - a SF G2! Bought it from Lighthound - and boy are they fast. I ordered it in the wee hours of Monday morning - and they had it packed and shipped by 10 AM!

I had NO idea how small SF's are. It's about 30% smaller than the 2AA dollar store light that I had been using. The light is simply amazing.:wow: I turned on the dollar store light and the G2 at the same time - and you couldn't even tell that the dollar store light was on. Just the spill from the G2 was enough to eclipse the dollar store light. My wife was very impressed too!

It's one thing to read about it here and see pictures - but to hold it in your hand, see the smallness of the size, and the brightness of the light...WOW

If this is only an entry level light, it's gonna be one expensive hobby...

SF ought to give these out for free - just to get people hooked on 123's and buying their other lights.

My dog went on a joy run today - so I guess I'll have to take her for a disciplinary walk tonight...:naughty:

Now, I'm really looking forward to getting my HDS U60 and tigerlight...

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Way to go on your SureFire G2 HQuan!

As you may already know, there's also an upgrade lamp assembly for it, the P61 which will nealy double the light output but cutdown the runtime to 20 minutes. You can also put a drop-in LED called the BOG 3W. Lighthound sells these too!

Don't let that SF.G2 get away from you now! Enjoy!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... it is pretty bright, esp if you haven't seen something in that league... but I wouldn't classify it as small... For 2 cell lights, the E2E or the Vital Gear FB2 are what I would call small.

I've had three G2s but have sold or traded them all away but I currently own a Brinkmann Maxfire which is pretty much identical to the G2 size-wise and it dwarfs my Vital Gear.

thezman

Enlightened
Congratulations, you are now hooked and there is no turning back.

Welcome to the madness.......:crackup:

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was my first light as well. You should look into the e1e, then into the new-generation Kl1.

It is worth every cent!

-tom

carrot

Flashaholic
G2 was also my first light. Great little light, maybe a little too bulky in comparison to the Maglite Mini or E2e to impress non-flashaholics, but fantastic anyway.

hquan

Enlightened
As much as she was impressed by the G2, it'll be interesting to see my wife's expression when our tigerlight arrives on Jan 17. :)

By the way, she's already asking: "We're done with buying lights, right?" My response "umm... yeah..." :whistle:

Last edited:

Luxman

Enlightened
My first SF was the Centurion 2 which has similar beam characteristics. I remember the feeling.. :)
Maybe try one of the SF LED lights next..
Have Fun! Your on your way!

rfwjr

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like the G2 is a good way to wade into the Surefire pool. I was planning on buying one for my first Surefire purchase and from what I have read here at CPF I think I will go ahead and pick one up. What does a beamshaper do, I have seen them mentioned.

Thanks

SCblur

Enlightened
The beamshaper is a diffuser that you put over the bezel of the light. It diffuses the focus of the light into a soft wide light that you can use to light up a whole room at once, or for close-up work. I have a couple of them, they are great for walking around the house or camping, etc.

hquan

Enlightened
rfwjr said:
It sounds like the G2 is a good way to wade into the Surefire pool. I was planning on buying one for my first Surefire purchase and from what I have read here at CPF I think I will go ahead and pick one up. What does a beamshaper do, I have seen them mentioned.

Thanks

I don't think that you'll be disappointed. It's my first - so i really don't have anything to compare it to - but I love it. Even though it's plastic - it doesn't feel like plastic at all. It's very hard and feels very solid - nothing like the cheapo plastic lights i've had in the past. I like the feel of it a lot.

I don't plan on using it very much - so I'm going to stick with primary cells for it. I figured that a charger and rechargables would run $50++, which would equal close to 50 batterystation batteries. It'd take me waay too long to recoup on that investment - but then I do have a rechargable light being shipped... and I expect to use that light much more heavily (maybe 15 min. a night):popcorn:.