Flashlight to Lantern Idea

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although there is a flashlight that converts to a lantern by extending the bezel and exposing the LED, I'm wondering about how hard it would be to make an accessory that would attach to a flashlight's bezel and redirect the beam 360 degrees. I'm envisioning two parts; a stand to prop up the flashlight to a stable vertical position, and a cylindrically shaped diffuser that attaches to a flashlight head via a rubber grommet. Similar to the River Rock 4AA lantern, the cylindrical diffuser would have a polished dome at its end to redirect the beam outwards.

If a flashlight like the SL 4AA Lux was used the runtime and output should be sufficient for camping or home use. The advantage over a regular lantern would be very low cost and such a setup would be great for backpackers concerned with space and weight.

I could check my local TAP Plastics store for parts and see what I can come up with. Anyone have any idea of what's out there that might work?

EDIT: I'm wondering if this even needs a diffuser as the LED is recessed down in the reflector. I guess it depends on the amount of glare coming off the reflective dome.

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of attachments for my lights that turn the flashlight into a wand for visibility and used for directing tracfic. You've seen these on the tarmac where people are directing the planes to park in its stall etc.

I think I got one for a 2AA minimag from Nite eyes and the other I got from the surefire website. One of them is yellow which would make a type of lantern effect.

They may have or there may be different sources for these or clear wand attachments. This might or might not be a work around for you. :)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you're describing CroMAGnet; I don't think it would give off much area light. I think the beam needs to be redirected to be of any use. I probably need to get some assorted odds and ends and do a little experimenting. TAP says they have the half domes in sizes up to 1 1/2 inches, but they are clear and I don't think I can simply paint a mirrored surface on them. Maybe I'll see what effect a layer of aluminum foil makes. There must be something out there I could cannibalize.

CMCadenhead

Newly Enlightened
I use a 35mm film canister on my ARC AAA, and on the MiniMag. The ones from FujiFilm are translucent white. Any film processor should have a bunch. Cut an X in the cap and push the smaller lights through. Aluminum foil in the tube end reduces light output, IME, which is not always a bad thing. Even the standard MM bulb is too bright for most purposes. That's really the problem-a lantern really needs adjustable brightness levels.

Nite Ize has a wand that's white

Here's a "Navy Deck Wand"

Wand

Bottles

More bottles

Even more bottles

Guess what?? Right!

Various things for moving light

Let us know what you come up with,
Monty

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, I was at REI yesterday and saw that Princeton Tec had a flashlight, actually it was a mini wand that was for illuminating a tent like a lantern would and it also served as a beacon. I forgot the name but they use the wand as a lantern and it was a small cheap light. I think if you got a white wand and attached it to the SL PP LUXEON it would do the trick. JM2c :)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... more ideas. I like the diffuser film with high transmission efficiency.

Tomorrow's my trip to the plastics store to see what I can find to experiment with. Another thought I had was simply to omit having a clear tube and come up with a few arms to hold the dome over the flashlight bezel. I was thinking the arms could sort of clamp down thereby making it fit over a wide variety of flashlight sizes.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nuawi 115 with the head off does a great job. If I were going to use it occasionally I'd not bother with anything else, if a lot I'd want a clear cover for it.

However I think that there is a law in CPF that forbids using a light as a dual purpose device. If you want a lantern, buy a lantern, then a second one for small tents and a third one for picnic table use, then ....

Luxman

Enlightened
A film canister on an ARC-P works well. I have used this during power outages and it provides more than enough light for normal tasks:

0572dk4802pt.jpg

0573lt4504br.jpg

A while back someone suggested reversing the clip on the ARC will allow it to stand without additional support.

Last edited:

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i cant find the post but i remember someone was making an attachment for the firefly (i think it was the firefly) to turn in to a lantern. i believe it can be used with any light that is about the same size. maybe some else would have better luck looking for that post.