Is A Real LED Foglight Possible Yet?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a theoretical question, lets say you start off with one or more hollow aluminum tubes, square cross section, say 3 by 3 inches, cap the ends, fill with mineral oil to help transport heat away from the face. Put a line of 3 or 5 watt amber Luxeons running along the face, each one gets a reflector and and lense. While we're at it it, give each one a heat sensor mounted next to it that will shut it off if it overheats on you.

Hang it under your bumper (or use heavy gauge and it could be your bumper) figure six feet from end to end, an LED every 3 inches, that'd be 24 units, hmm, that's not enough, so do a staggered double row, one line across the top, one across the bottom of your bar, that's 48 LEDs.

Anyone think it's be usefull?

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like something from Mad Max and the Thunderdome.
But uh sure give it a try.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Ken_McE said:
Anyone think it's be usefull?

Hmmm...

Depends on what you would call useful. I think that it would be a great conversation piece, but I also think that in actual use in fog it would backscatter the living daylights out of you.

Also, rather complex. Not impossible at all, but a goodly bit of work to make. Would imagine you'd want to overlay even the lenses with a nice piece of lexan to decrease chances of damage and general road schmutz building up on the circuitry. The wires would have to be shielded somehow.

Could wire some control in there, so that the thing could do that "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" lightbar thingie if'n a huge alien spaceship wants to come by and chat.:eek:

Might want to really work on making the thing proof against theft. Something like that would draw a lot of attention, the least of which would be the cop who would possibly write you a ticket after the light bar caught his attention.;)

Last edited:

Navck

Enlightened
Sleestak said:
Hmmm...

Depends on what you would call useful. I think that it would be a great conversation piece, but I also think that in actual use in fog it would backscatter the living daylights out of you.

Also, rather complex. Not impossible at all, but a goodly bit of work to make. Would imagine you'd want to overlay even the lenses with a nice piece of lexan to decrease chances of damage and general road schmutz building up on the circuitry. The wires would have to be shielded somehow.

Could wire some control in there, so that the thing could do that "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" lightbar thingie if'n a huge alien spaceship wants to come by and chat.:eek:

Might want to really work on making the thing proof against theft. Something like that would draw a lot of attention, the least of which would be the cop who would possibly write you a ticket after the light bar caught his attention.;)

doo Dooo dooo dooo DOOOOOO

Sorry, my friend keeps reminding me of "Close encounters of the third kind".