Potential use for UV LED flashlight?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I love my little Lighthound 12-LED UV light, but i've mostly been using it to play with, see what stuff glows (maple syrup glows a particularly icky green....)

a few days ago i got a *nasty* cut from a computer case on the side of my middle finger, it dug a good 1/4" gouge into the finger, i had to go to the emergency room to get it cleaned and dermabonded

it's healing well, slowly, but well (and i'll have a cool scar to boot), as i was playing with my UV light last night, i remembered that UV energy is used as an antibacterial sanitizer as well, so i've been occasionally waving the UV light near the wound whenever i have it unbandaged (like after a shower), i figure it can't *hurt* anything, and it *may* be killing potential bacteria that may have snuck in under the Dermabond (it's slowly wearing away)

so, am i simply wasting time hitting the wound with UV, or is it potentially destroying bacteria?

luigi

Enlightened
Hi,
When considering the effect of UV radiation on human health and the environment, the range of UV wavelengths is subdivided into UVA (380–315 nm), also called Long Wave or "blacklight"; UVB (315–280 nm), also called Medium Wave; and UVC (< 280 nm), also called Short Wave or "germicidal".
Your flashlight is surely producing UVA or near-UV radiation, according to studies skin cancer can be triggered by excess of UVB.
So your flashlight won't kill any germs or bacteria and it probably won't cause you skin cancer but can damage the skin eventually producing wrinkles. If you look at the process while you do it it can also damage your eyes.
In short words just don't do it.

Luigi