Recommendations for DVD/CD Burning program

Banshee

Enlightened
Just purchased a DVD burner from NewEgg...saved $$ because it was a white box deal with no software. Now I'm looking for a burning program to use in saving my D/L torrents and Tivo'd shows to DVD.
Tivo recommends Sonic My DVD...many others say Nero (6.6)or Roxio (Easy Media Creator)...

Anyone have personal experience with any of these with .tivo files?

Banshee

Enlightened
Yup..Been a Tivo Community member for a few years now..the jury is still out there too. Some say the Tivo preferred Sonic My DVD is a POS..others say Nero..others prefer Roxio...but theres one rave for every rant too!

just seeking a few more opinions

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't fear, you'll likely have software with the drive unless you bought a refurbished.

What brand drive? Every Lite-On drive I bought OEM came with Nero and PowerDVD. It even came with a CD audio to sound card cable. I've found retail packaging is just fancier and has a manual...

Banshee

Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
Don't fear, you'll likely have software with the drive unless you bought a refurbished.

What brand drive? Every Lite-On drive I bought OEM came with Nero and PowerDVD. It even came with a CD audio to sound card cable. I've found retail packaging is just fancier and has a manual...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827152059#Combo

Dis be da one....doesnt say anything about software being bundled with it AFAIK
Just spoke to NewEgg...as an OEM drive..it shipped with no softwater

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like nero too. It's biggest issue (other than having a do-it-all bloatware package) is that you can get into the nitty-gritty settings (if you want) and really screw things up!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Banshee: Nope that one doesn't look like it comes with any software. I like LiteOn brand, and they always include software even the OEM. I've had nothing but 100% success with thier drives!!

You can find OEM copies of Nero on ebay, basically sealed OEM cds that ship with drives like the Liteon. The software will say it won't work for your burner (because it's not the bundled burner) when you select your burner from the drop down list but you just select "generic windows burner" or somethign from the list and it works fine then. I think they go for ~ 5-10 bucks on ebay. Might try it out...

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Nero for a long time for burning CDs. I guess 7 or 8 years. I bought a Lite-On burner from newegg about a month ago and it came with a Nero CD. I have no use for it, cuz I always have Nero around. Lately I've edited and burned a few movies with Nero. It works for me. I can't give a comparison for making movies because I've never used anything except Nero.

I think the NECs are good drives. At cdfreaks.com they are always popular.

It seems that when you buy an optical drive it usually comes with outdated firmware. You should be able to get the latest official firmware from the manufacturer's site. I use an unofficial version from cdfreaks.com. It's easy to flash the firmware, at least it is for the Lite-Ons.

You can check which firmware version you have by using the Nero CD speed program. It comes with Nero, but you can get the latest version at cdspeed2000.com.

Bu the way, the last I knew, the NECs won't do a "disk quality" scan, but other parts of the CD speed program can be used to check the quality of the burn. I guess that's the reason I use Lite-On drives. But some say the NECs will do a higher quality burn. Actually it depends on the particular media at least as much as the drive.

aso

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of Nero myself. If you don't want to spend anything, CDBurnerXP Pro is available. It is full featured and it is free.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used several burning programs and burned a lot of video to DVD(Hauppauge PVR-150). I have to say GO WITH NERO. I have Nero 6 and love it. It just works flawless with tons of options. I'm using a NEC 3540A burner from Newegg and love this drive.

Banshee

Enlightened
Thanks everyone...picked up a copy of Nero Ultra 7 on eBay..only 28.00 shipped.
As far as the Tivo..I found a program by Videora that converts just about everything to a Tivo readable .mpg program. Now i can BitTorrent shows or films and convert them to watch on my TV !!!