little thugs scared of light

nuggett

Enlightened
I was walking downtown tonight with my 11 yr old daughter. Passing an alleyway, we heard a loud yell, like a growl. I knew it was just kids and thought nothing much of it. Then I saw movement in the next alley we passed, so I blasted them with my U2. It was funny to see them duck below some steps, the light keeping them pinned until I got closer, then they blew cover and ran off. I went back to the prior alley and blasted them again, scurried like rats! God,that was fun!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well that's "the language of light" wouldn't you say? Lumens speaking louder than words!

vtunderground

Enlightened
Fun stuff.

I walk down a dark bike path on the way to campus... I always shine my flashlight down the path before walking down it. One night my PM6 LED illuminated someone hiding in the shadows at the side of the path. Needless to say, he jumped up and ran away.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Great posts!

Lesson learned: Always carry a good reliable light. Not only it might safe your neck, but someone else's too! Especially when someone is hiding with malicious intent against women for instance.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Just a thought - a miniHID isn't going to have the sudden punch of a hotwire or high powered LED since they take so long to warm up. I have a miniHID but am thinking of eventually going to a 3 or 4 Lux Mag mod.

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
Of course in some neighborhoods such a display could be construed as a provocation - resulting in them responding with something more substantial than photons.

Malpaso

Enlightened
I would have to think that to most anyone not on this forum, the shining of a flashlight immediately would make them think law enforcement. Regular people don't carry (and use) high powered flashlights, do they?

Artful

Newly Enlightened
Malpaso said:
I would have to think that to most anyone not on this forum, the shining of a flashlight immediately would make them think law enforcement. Regular people don't carry (and use) high powered flashlights, do they?

I don't know I gave Xenon (60+ lumen) lights to regular people for christmas - don't know for sure if they carry them but with Sam's/Walmart etc selling the cheap high power lights I think you'll see more of them around used by "Regular People"

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a group of youths breaking bottles in the lane behind my house, The neigbours told them to go but they just gave more cheek, I went inside
got out my Blaster flashlight and two way radio, it sure scared the hell out of them, they did not know what to think. No more broken bottles in the back lane

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, esp. in college towns where police activity is more prevalent, I think ppl associate bright lights at night = cops. However, if it's a particularly bad area (i.e. East Oakland, near me), that might provoke further confrontation!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mcmc said:
However, if it's a particularly bad area (i.e. East Oakland, near me), that might provoke further confrontation!

You got that right. Messing around 66th Ave. or E 14th will get you killed!

I helped a friend move recently. He moved into a fairly rural area in a court. Well the last load was at 10pm. The family at the end of the court were standing in the shadows checking us out and we could here them talking. I hit them with my E2e. Talk about the "deer in the headlights look!" They immediately went back into there house before we could introduce ourselves.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree.. I think most assume some level of authority when seeing a light..

Weird, huh?

Malpaso said:

Greg

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar experience a little while ago.

I was coming home one night and was coming in through the garage which leads to the alley. Once I got into my backyard I heard a few people two yards over, but I couldn't see them due to the high fence. I then lit up the fence and the trees around where they were with my trusty PM6 . All I could hear was them making a mad dash to the fence so they could get into the alley. Unfortunately the last dudes footing wasn't too good and I heard him come down in the alley with a large thump, similar to the sound a ripe watermelon makes as it smacks the ground.

Needless to say, once they got over they kept running and never looked back.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
When I was a much younger lad we would drive around looking for stuff to do. One night we found that if another car passed us by going real fast or ran a stop sign etc....all we had to do was flash spot light off and on and the car would pull over to the side thinking we were cops. Of course my buddies and I would pull along side the car laugh our butts off and then scram!:grin2: