Ethical Light Purchases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a shop in the same county as me that sells flashlights. The branda are Streamlight, Nite Ize/Inova, 5.11 and others that matter so little.

I've really been digging an Inova UV light however it is made in China now. The older Inovas are USA made, I know because I have like four of them in my collection. I went as far as to buy a Lupine when I wanted a T11R this year and I lurked around Egay long enough to get a few older lights last year.

Should I hold out and get a NOS Inova UV that may be made in USA or buy local and get a new one?

The 5.11 lights didn't say where they were made on the package but the Duracell CR123s inside where american made so I assume the light is.

I miss the days when you seen flags on the packages of Peli/Pelican or Maglite and knew what you were getting.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When Inova was owned by Emissive Energies the lights were US made. Later on Emissive Energies started Nite Ize for their products made over seas. When they started having Inova products made over seas they moved the Inova brand from Emissive Energies to Nite Ize. If it doesn't have Emissive Energies Inova it wasn't US made.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
"well-founded standards of right and wrong that prescribe what humans ought to do, usually in terms of rights, obligations, benefits to society, fairness, or specific virtues."

Hank, the person who drives Emisar flashlights (intl-outdoor) no doubt works hard. He might have a family to feed. He cares about making a quality product that answers the needs and wants of people who desire a quality, capable portable illumination tool.

I remember in the latter 70's (and thereafter) how some people would get hostile to owners of Japanese automobiles because they were not made in Detroit, Michigan. Seems like Corporate Rot and Innovative Excellence do not recognize political boundaries.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I remember in the latter 70's (and thereafter) how some people would get hostile to owners of Japanese automobiles because they were not made in Detroit, Michigan. Seems like Corporate Rot and Innovative Excellence do not recognize political boundaries.
I love how That 70s Show dealt with the Fuel Crisis.

Red bought a Toyota (likely a Corolla).
Gave the keys to the big barge station-wagon to his son, Eric.
Not really a plot-line. Just explained why Eric always had the wagon.
Folks did what they had to do back then. Plain and simple.
Detroit wasn't making anything for the people during the Crisis.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
"well-founded standards of right and wrong that prescribe what humans ought to do, usually in terms of rights, obligations, benefits to society, fairness, or specific virtues."

Well I would like to buy a majority of my lights from countries that pay workers good wages. Buying local is also good but the selection is dodgy however that helps the local job situation. Right now I have more USA made lights in my collection than European or Chinese. I buy batteries, bulbs, and pouches for my lights from here too. It is getting easier to buy American when I see a light I want and somehow it costs more than a SF.

My stepgrandfather, who was a WW2 vet, wouldn't allow a Japanese car in his driveway even when the Japs had the highest percentage of US content in their automobiles. His light that was a safety permissible type light from the 60s or 70s was domestic made but not of a brand we would recognise such as Fulton or Bright Star.,

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great your stepgrandfather had the choice to not buy Japanese cars; another reason why USA is a place people from all over the world are trying to enter illegally.

And yet in the closed political thread of a person making unsupported claims against a company (that was economically injured as a result of those claims) you seemed to imply beheading a CNN reporter and having it broadcast to the world was a good thing?

You have made it clear that you think religious authorities should be able to dictate how we dress and talk and behave?

Further, you think it's ok to talk about lusting after underage girls?

That you can use insulting names about people who are different than you?

Those beliefs are not welcome here. Please keep that ugliness to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.