increasing circiut conductivity

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
I have some modded bike lights and at the moment it's a very simple mod but I'd now like to try and get more volts to the bulbs by sorting out what I think will be a fairly big drop in voltage due to teh stuff I've used.
I've currently got two banks of ten AA cells too provide a 12volt source for the 2 20watt MR16 bulbs (I've tried two lots of six in seriers but don't want to power 2 20watt bulbs like that). I don't want to mess about with the head units at this point but I think the battery holders can be improved. I've currently got the basic holders from maplins with ten cells being in a single holder and the other ten being in a six and a four cell holder wired up in series. The holders have the PP3 connectors and I'm currently just using them with the standard wires and terminal blocks to connect it to the cable going from the battery holder to the units. At most I think I could fit in 22cells into the case which get strapped to the bike.
I'm guessing soldering all the connections would improve the conductivity and using thicker wire then the standard PP3 conectors (I'm not very good at soldering this set up was only meant to get me started until someone can solder it for me). What can I do to improve the connection between the cells and the holder though? I need to be able to remove the cells as I use them in other equipment and also I take them out to charge.