Yukon HL EverLED upgrade?

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
So I have one of the higher end head lamps made py Princeton, The yucon HL. Its 3 5mm leds and one Lux led... the oinley problem is the lux is NASTY sticky green and a side emiter and the three 5mm leds are nice for flod but dont incres the run time at all. So I did what any eltronix freek would do, I took it apart and gess what I found
SOOO COOL

The Main Lux emiter (in the center) Is a PR flang asembley thats soderd in from the rear.

I know what your thinking, So what? Well theres a companey that makes a REALY nice, Lambertian Luxeon I PR flang bulb entended for upgrading lights made by EverLED http://www.ledsupply.com/evflbu.html. SOOO I can unsoder this one and soder in a new, regulated EverLED and have a Realy nice regulated headlap, fix the coller and probley make it lots birgher. Then all I have to do is add soum resitince on the 3 5mm leds and were in busines with a custom headlamp.

Anyone have any input. This headlamp oinley runs off of 3XAA but I think the EverLED should be OK with that. The oinley thing I am REALY woryed about is sodering to the EverLED, dont want to trash a $40 bulb. This is my first realy involved mod so any advice is grate

Last edited:

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
OK so I finely got around to trying southing with this idea… I attempted to transplant a M@G 3cell LED into this light… Found one MAJOR problem, the M@G LED is about 1/32" to big all the way around! So I had to do MASAVE removal of plastic components inside. I couldn't have the right size drill bit, that would have been to easy. So here are sum pics of my butcher job.

The Idea.

LED powerd on.

The Mag LED fits perfectly in the reflector, I think what I may end up doing is removing the supports for the 5mm LED's and connecting all 4 to the reflector.The mag led is definitely not the best choice for this job, but dous end up MUCH brighter and whiter.