Secret handshake

Shovelrider

Newly Enlightened
So I'm at a party on sat night and I spot a benchmade pocket clip, I call him over and we start comparing our Benchmades. He then said to me almost in an embarassed tone "are you into flashlights too?" I said yes and start talking about how it's too bad I did'nt have my car with me because my patrol bag was in the back with my duty lights and how I did the 3c 2d/Craftsman led mod from CPF he said you're on CPF also!!! We need a secret handshake or something like the leg shake from the Whoopie boys!!!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
What, you didn't have any lights on you? You should be :banned:
:laughing:
Nah, just teasing. That's really cool to meet fellow CPF'ers. Welcome to CPF!

M.TEX

Enlightened
Wow ! what are the odds....I whish I could be lucky and find

someone near to talk about pocket knives and Flashlights...

Everybody that I know they think Im some kind crazy or maniac...
just because the amount of $$$ I pay for some of my knives and
Now with High End Flashlights...
They don't understand what we few...too bad they don't know
what they're missing :naughty:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shovelrider said:
So I'm at a party on sat night and I spot a benchmade pocket clip, I call him over and we start comparing our Benchmades. He then said to me almost in an embarassed tone "are you into flashlights too?" I said yes and start talking about how it's too bad I did'nt have my car with me because my patrol bag was in the back with my duty lights and how I did the 3c 2d/Craftsman led mod from CPF he said you're on CPF also!!! We need a secret handshake or something like the leg shake from the Whoopie boys!!!!

So who is it that is here on CPF that you met? :)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I predict these chance meetings between CPFers will become more and more frequent in years to come. :)

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there were people 'in the flesh' in my peer group who were as into flashlights as I am, well, that just wouldn't be good. I have to count on the weird looks from the bulbless peoples to keep me aware of just how odd it is to spend the time and money I do on lights. Otherwise, I just might get obsessive :laughing:.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I have never ever seen in all my days anyone else with a top end flashlight. (other than LEO). I look all the time, trying to spot someone, but to this day I have yet to see anyone. :mecry:

Safety1st

Enlightened
brilliant story, Shovelrider...

I know exactly what you mean....and how bizarre it sounds if you ask someone else..

:awman::lolsign:

welcome to the forums...

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi said:
Otherwise, I just might get obsessive :laughing:.

Hmmm. Little late for that statement, isn't it? :lolsign:

You're in good company :nana:

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I once ran into a guy with an E2d during a power outage. We didn't have time to talk much, so I'll never know if he was a CPFer :(

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Met a CPFer recently in a group situation involving computer types. He asked if I was into flashlights so I whip out my BK-A2-WT. He shows me his L1 and Fenix. Turns out he owns an M6 and had a U2 on the way. There was another CPFer I know in the group that is a multi-time Luxeon Lottery winner. The guy was not at all surprised to meet other flashlight people. But for three CPFers to run in to each other in a computer related venue was kind of exciting for all of us.

We were talking about what we had and what we wanted using all the terminology and common acronyms used on this board. The rest of the group felt a little left out so some of them were compelled to show off their LED keychain lights and tell flashlight stories.

One of them has a daughter that doesn't like to leave the house if the weather is bad without one of her flashlights. Apparently she's guided some classmates down darkened hallways at school during power outages. She's a third grader. Gotta love that.

Soon we were talking about those LEO lights with IR emitters and LCD screens. It was tons of fun. Computer software/hardware technology? Sure it's interesting but on that day torches ruled the conversation.

Safety1st

Enlightened
The cops I work with eye my with suspicioun when I produce the 'latest' tool in my flashlight armoury.....

and they are especially concerned about the 'Gladius' which i've told them about...and which should be here by the end of the week...

However, any ribbing or mick taking..usually subsides in the dead of the night as either an accident...or a building search...when they say things like..."Gary...have a look over there with that super dooper bloody flashlight of yours"...etc

:naughty:

Shovelrider

Newly Enlightened
SafetyHow right you are about other cops!!!! Most look at me like what is his problem? But when you're up on a project roof looking for a shooter and the they pullout a stock mag with it's sickly yellow beam and you light up the corner furthest away with you're night becomes day everyone gathers around you!!!!

dangerman

Newly Enlightened
I think we also need a normal sounding verbal method of recognition.

For example you could say: "Did you see the meteor shower the other night". This sounds normal, you can say it and not sound out of the ordinary.

The CPF'er would know to reply with: "I was out last night, but my flashlight is too bright for me to see the stars properly." Again this doesn't draw attention except from those in the know.

I'm sure we can do better. How about a thread with a competition? The winner would be decided by a poll? We might even get the winner put on a sticky for all to see.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Back in the old days of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, there was a recurring skit involving two trenchcoat-cloaked spies who would meet at a lamp post every time. They would always approach each other back-to-back, and the secret passphrase and reply was:
Spy #1 - "I've got the yo-yo."
Spy #2 - "I've got the string."

Maybe a spinoff of this for CPFers?

"I've got way too many flashlights"
"I'm outta batteries"

:laughing:

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
PW, I like that. Something simple that would be EASILy disregarded if overheard, I could see the meteor shower being risky. You would most likely ( acording to Murphy) to be around a group of star gazers, then you would have to BS your way out of that one.

How about something like.

Hey, isn't that one of those L.E.P lights (easile corrected or explained as 'yea right L.E.D)

to which the secret reply could be.

Don't those L.E.P lights take the square batteries? (9v's being square wouldebt sound wiierd either.

Jeff