General Tips for Flashlight Use

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Feel free to add your own, I'll struggle through the first few with my limited enlightenment.

-A little petrolulem jelly on the threads never hurts, especially with an older light.
-Never throw away a holster
-The first key to 'Tactical' light use...is just keeping your finger near the button.
-Rechargables, whether built-in or just NIMPH cells, do indeed pay for themselves in the long run.
-No matter how bit your Surefire is, no one will laugh if you still have a keychain light, you're only as bright as the light you always have with you.
-If you think LEDs are just a fad that'll blow over by next month...seek medical help.
-Maglites, are very good lights in the eyes of the average American. To Flashaholics, they are the bare minimum of a good light, nothing more, there are better lights out there. No further bashing required.
-There's nothing wrong with carrying a few extra lights. Just don't wear them all lined up on your belt, what they can't see, they won't make fun of you for.
-Small lights are very handy. But security guards like the big ones for a very good reason, pocket-sized doesn't mean superior.
-If a light looks cheaper than it is, you can tell your wife it IS cheaper than it is.

Please, try to add onto this, I feel I butchered it enough as it is.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little petrolulem jelly on the threads never hurts, especially with an older light.

Some rubber (and rubber-like) products are soluble in petroleum products. Better to use silicone-based, or something not petroleum-based.

CLHC

Flashaholic
AlexSchira said:
There's nothing wrong with carrying a few extra lights. Just don't wear them all lined upon your belt. . .they won't make fun of you. . .
Ooopps! Got keep that one in mind. Inconspicuous is in order when EDCing.

mbely2

Enlightened
Be aware: long flashlight carried in front pocket of your pants sometimes can give people wrong and unplanned impression.

Last edited:

phosphor

Enlightened
coldsolderjoint said:
point the shining end away from you
...insert batteries into the light unit not into your nostrils.
...Dorcy flashlights are like "L'll Debbie" Snack Cakes...cheap and satisfying
...your not a real "flashaholic" unless you EDC an "tiki" lamp

-Regards

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
NEVER , Let an unexperenced NON-Flashaholic use a prized Flashlight without supervision . ( especially if it cost over $200.00 )

Kenny

Blazer

Enlightened
Best time to buy a flashlight....right after your wife buys a new pair of shoes.

Carry as many flashlights as you can without anyone noticing you have them.

Don't let your kids play with your Gladius, they'll strobe you.

tron3

Banned
scott.cr said:
Some rubber (and rubber-like) products are soluble in petroleum products. Better to use silicone-based, or something not petroleum-based.

Does Radio Shack carry a silicone lube gel? Anyone use it? Is it just to keep the threads smooth, or does it help keep water from seeping in?
Any recommendations?

General tip...him... Don't make your flashaholism obvious. People will think you have a problem. No wait, don't we really have a problem?

:huh2:

prof

Enlightened
Be careful with radio shack lube gel, it has an oil-base component (see the materials sheet on their web page or search for silicone here on cpf). it's been discussed before.

Try the plumbers grease at Lowes--designed for o-rings. Better yet, order the good stuff from lighthound.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember flashlight etiquette, especially around other flashaholics.

You may think it's funny to shine a light in someones eyes…until they respond with a MagCharger, ROP, or USL at point blank range.

Remember flashlight etiquette, even when NOT around other flashaholics.

Non flashaholics often respond with threats of physical violence and offers to show you how your light doubles as a suppository. :huh:

Last edited:

Blazer

Enlightened
zespectre said:
Non flashaholics often respond with threats of physical violence and offers to show you how your light doubles as a suppository. :huh:

:crackup:
Last night my wife says, "I could throw every possesion of yours out the window, but the only thing that would get a rise out of you would be if I broke all your flashlights." :crazy: