LED Radiation warning labels

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked-up Streamlight's new weapon light, a TLR-1. Inside the instruction book is a warning that the 3 watt LED has "LED Radiation; calss 2/max output <5mW with a wavelength approx. 450-550nm."

There's some info regarding LED standards and Laser light standards, especially in the EU.

I didn't realize that LED radiation labeling is a requirement, according to some standard (who's reference number I lost, but cahn be found via Google).

I think more research regarding this standard is needed...

-dan

Spacemarine

Enlightened
I've also seen a warning sticker on LED Flashlights. In my opinion the manufacturer places the sticker on the flashlight to make it look more "important". Pure marketing strategy.

LED Radiation; calss 2/max output <5mW with a wavelength approx. 450-550nm.

What a joke! A 3 Watt LED puts out MUCH MORE than 5mW, even if you limit the spectrum to 450-550 nm. So this statement is actually a lie.

OddOne

Enlightened
Spacemarine said:
I've also seen a warning sticker on LED Flashlights. In my opinion the manufacturer places the sticker on the flashlight to make it look more "important". Pure marketing strategy.

What a joke! A 3 Watt LED puts out MUCH MORE than 5mW, even if you limit the spectrum to 450-550 nm. So this statement is actually a lie.

Yes, but the COHERENT light output is far lower. Incoherent light must be much, much more intense to produce the same level of exposure concern.

oO, who has a rather large class-IV laser...

edison

Enlightened
The warning is for the laser of the TLR-2.

I'm guessing Streamlight had one instruction manual printed for both models to save money.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
edison said:
The warning is for the laser of the TLR-2.

I'm guessing Streamlight had one instruction manual printed for both models to save money.

Nope. It's for the LED. I also bought a SL Stylus, and it, too, has a similar warning about LED radiation.

The TLR instruction book has LED and LASER radiation warnings clearly seperated and labeled.

--dan

edison

Enlightened
dano said:
Nope. It's for the LED. I also bought a SL Stylus, and it, too, has a similar warning about LED radiation.

The TLR instruction book has LED and LASER radiation warnings clearly seperated and labeled.

--dan
Apparently I'm wrong. I stand corrected. :)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sellers are probably just doing that CYA thing to protect themselves against frivolous lawsuits . you know how the society is now days.

I knew what we were in for years ago when I saw lengthy warnings paragraphs actually engraved into the barrels of Ruger handguns during the production process ! I was extreeemely mad when I saw that . When I buy something I don't want permanent warning labels all over it !

If the government could have their way - babies would start popping out of wombs at hospitals with "WARNING- Do not shake or it will spew" labels on them .