My first time(this one time, at band camp)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather excited, may have just had my first victim.......er, that is to say, convert, to flashaholism. :rock:

I've got a friend who has carried a stock Minimag around for the longest time. He had no problems telling me I was an idiot for spending $30 on "a plastic flashlight." My beloved SL PP 4AA Lux. Several O-dark-thirty incidents down the road, it's finally been hammered into him that his Minimag falls flat on it's face compared to my SL. So today he tells me that he finally got one of them LED things for his Minimag and that he'd be willing to bet it's even brighter than my SL. He whips it out, and it's a Nite Ize mod. :whistle: Not bad of course, just not in the same league as my SL. We do some beam comparo's against the side of my house and a couple trees in the neighborhood, and of course his light is clearly inferior. He runs back to his van and grabs his 3D Mag with tired batteries. More beam comparo's, and my SL is still clearly superior in all but throw, and even then it's a easily debateable. I run to the closest of my trucks and grab a G2/P61 and toss it to him with a severe warning that looking into the business end at point blank range and with dark adapted eyes while turning it on may well be the last thing he ever sees. He figures out the tailcap switch and is absolutely astounded by the sheer amount of light thrown by a package barely larger than his Minimag. Discussion of Xenon lamps and LEDs and regulation followed. I grab my 1w and 3w modded 3D Mags, and more beams are compared. I sent the G2 and a couple sets of batteries home with him. I hope for good results.

Cheers! :buddies:

cosine

Newly Enlightened
That's the type of work to do! :goodjob: Welcome to CPF!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well there you/he goes! At least he's got an "entry-level" HiPo light from SureFire to get him thinking that there's more to Maglites out there!

Enjoy!

atm

Enlightened
Good story, the standard minimags just don't stack up any more. My brother and his family were visiting from the UK recently. One night he and his wife decided to go for a walk and were looking for a light to avoid spiders which had built their webs across the footpath. I loaned him my Fenix L1P.

By the time he got back he was so impressed he wanted one. He used to carry a minimag in his backpack because travelling on the tube each day it wasn't uncommon to be left in the dark in a packed carriage for short periods of time when the train stopped and the lights went off. Apparently this happens once or twice a week for a minute or so, with the potential to be much longer.

The last time he grabbed his minimag the bulb was blown due to it being dropped, and of course the output was rubbish even when it did work.

He returned to the UK with my L2P.

Keep the converts coming. :laughing:

Andrew

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the welcome. My friend says I'm not getting my G2 back, but I expect he'll change his mind when he looks for batteries at the store. Have to point him in the right direction for those. Thanks everyone.

Cheers.:buddies:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Omega, I'll look at the Maxfire. However, I really like the P61 LA available for the G2, so I'll probably stick with that.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega, I apologize. A thread has come up on the Brinkman Maxfire. Apparently it can use Surefire lamp assemblies, so I'll definitely be taking a closer look at it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
This technique sounds a little familiar. Especially that nice touch of sending him home with the G2 with a few sets of batteries. Kinda like "the first taste is free" ... Have you ever sold drugs? :D.

Actually that's real nice of you to send him home with the G2.

With regards to not getting it back, don't depend upon the price of CR123s in stores to scare him off, most people aren't so computer illiterate that they can't figure out how to use eBay, froogle, or even google to find this site. I have a colleague that apparently received a gift of a G2 (probably from some flashaholic on this site!) and he's had no problems finding batteries on eBay for less than $1 ea. including shipping (last batch was Panasonics). Soo... if you want your G2 back it might be better to suddenly show up with a brand new Brinkmann Maxfire LX that will outthrow and outshine the G2 (but costs less than half.) Best hurry though, before he wises up :).

Diesel_Bomber said:
may have just had my first victim.......er, that is to say, convert, to flashaholism. :rock:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
This technique sounds a little familiar. Especially that nice touch of sending him home with the G2 with a few sets of batteries. Kinda like "the first taste is free" ... Have you ever sold drugs? :D.

Actually that's real nice of you to send him home with the G2.

With regards to not getting it back, don't depend upon the price of CR123s in stores to scare him off, most people aren't so computer illiterate that they can't figure out how to use eBay, froogle, or even google to find this site. I have a colleague that apparently received a gift of a G2 (probably from some flashaholic on this site!) and he's had no problems finding batteries on eBay for less than $1 ea. including shipping (last batch was Panasonics). Soo... if you want your G2 back it might be better to suddenly show up with a brand new Brinkmann Maxfire LX that will outthrow and outshine the G2 (but costs less than half.) Best hurry though, before he wises up :).

Hehe, thanks Brighteyez. I'm not worried about getting the G2 back if I decide I've absolutely gotta have it back. If I was worried I wouldn't have sent it home with him to begin with. :nana: I agree with you about people being generally internet savvy, but in this case he doesn't have internet at all. I expect he would if he knew the true wealth of information available; quite literally the world at your fingertips. I'll point him in the right direction for cheap batteries, even though I'll have to order them for him. I'll look at the Maxfire and see what I think. Now that I know the P61 is able to fit, my main objection to the Maxfire disappears. I'll have to see about quality, though.

Cheers! :buddies: