• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Is Snow 29 LED the whitest LED?

makkan

Newly Enlightened
Is Snow 29 LED the whitest LED? Where can I order them? I only nedd a few. Are there other LEDS that are whiter or as white?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are the whitest 5mm LEDs I've ever used or seen.

Among the standard offerings, KevinL's 35k LEDs were pretty white with a hint of blue usually... I haven't fired up any of his new 40K LEDs yet.

The Nichia CS C0 LEDs have the blue in the middle and greenish/brownish/yellowish corona and the Nichia CS B0 LEDs have a pronounced blue tint throughout.

Also, the last SMJLED I had was quite white. The MJLEDs tend to vary from batch to batch or from generation to generation, but the good ones are very nice. They are quite different than typical 20ma LEDs though... you'll need to do your research to see if they will work in your application.

greenLED

Flashaholic
"snow LED's" are still a bit whitish blue, but they're much, much, much, much (did I say much?) whiter than the CS's.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just since no one pointed it out: Yes the Snow 29s are white for a 5mm LED, but I still found them quite "cool" and washed out looking as compared with an average luxeon.

makkan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all replies!!

Solstice: do you mean that luxeons are whiter?
From where can I buy snow29 LEDs? Also, how are the luxeons different? I'm going to use the LEDs in a USB-light (which I've made of a USB-cable + some LED). Size doesn't really matter. The only thing is that I don't really like the blueish color.

vortechs

Enlightened
There is a thread about the Peak Snow 29 over in 'Group Buys and Passarounds'. However, it is currently on hold and waiting for more to become available. Somebody posts a question asking about the availability of more about once a week. I'd suggest finding the thread and subscribing to it so you'll get any updates.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best Luxeon bins - X0 and W0 are generally the most preferred tint bins it would seem - are 'whiter' than the Snow 29 LEDs. But a lot of times, it comes down to which two colors you are most interested in differentiating between. For folks that do outdoor work, a white LED that leans towards yellow is possibly the best choice of rendition of browns and yellows.

If compared to the very best X0 or W0 Lux IIIs, the Snows do look slightly bluish but I consider the Snows to be pretty much excellent as far as 5mm LEDs go.

One of my personal tests is in part of the house, we have fairly dark green furniture on a fairly dark blue carpet (looks better than it sounds). The test is, in a darkened room, can I readily tell the difference between the blue carpet and the green couch. With the Snows, it's VERY easy to see the difference. With the River Rock and Nuwai 0.5W lights, it's next to impossible.