oakley prescription polycarbonate lens strong ?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone on this forum wear prescription glasses everyday? What do you think of the toughness of oakley polycarbonate prescription lens? Are they strong enough? My current lens crack. I don't know how it happened. :shrug: I am looking for the replacement.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've thought about getting the Oakley prescriptions, but they informed me that is not possible since it exceeds their "specs"(?) The other one that's seems to be quite as good is Wiley-X.

And Yes I do wear glasses and I alternate from time to time with contacts.

Enjoy!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
oakley? Dont they make frames? I use poly lenses cause they are half as thick as plastic and the comfort of knowing if I am shot in the eye the lens wnt shatter, at least that is what I am told. Now I have had a poly lens crack during grinding, at least that was what I was told for a delay in a prescription a few years ago when I had a pair made.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worn glasses every day for 50 years and I only cracked a lens twice. Both times I dropped them on those stupid ceramic tile floors in bathrooms.

I always had glass lenses until about 4 years ago when I got polycarbonate. So far no cracks with the polycarbonate lenses. I did manage to put a pretty good scratch in one lens but it's near the edge so it's no problem. I assume it's virtually impossible to crack polycarbonate. Am I wrong? They do scratch easier that glass though.

I like them because they are much lighter than glass.

K A

Enlightened
I had tried Polycarbonate lenses last year. But for some reason when I first put them on they just did NOT feel natural at all. If I looked through the bottom of the lenses at the edge of a sheet of paper it would seem to have a blue edge to it.

So I had them redo them with regular plastic lenses which came out fine.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
How strong are polycarbonate lenses anyway?

I use my normal glasses as "safety" glasses all the time and they have polycarb lenses. I've had stuff hit at high speeds before and they didn't break but there are some small scratches :duck:

Note: If you are going to be grinding metal or anything that will produce a hail of sparks, I'd recommend you put on real safety glasses. Nothing got in my eye but the hot metal flecks got embeded into the lenses.

I've seen them even melt into real glass.

Yooper

Enlightened
Polycarb is the strongest lens material available. It's optical qualities aren't great. I don't like it in my own glasses, but it's in my safety glasses and I put up with it for the safety. I find glass lenses to be the most durable in daily regular use, but they will shatter if hit with a projectile.

CLHC

Flashaholic
If I'm not mistaken, polycarbonate lenses are ANSI rated and found on most safety eyewear.