Now...my wife wants a light of her own...

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has seen my small collection but doesn't trust me with my advice....

This is what she wants in a light;

1. Single cell, pocket/palm size
2. Instant access to maximum output by pushing a button (60 lumens or more)
3. At least one lower light setting available
4. Can use rechargeable cells
5. Does not have to be re-programmed after each battery change
6. Must cost under US$200.00

Any ideas?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L2

But personally I think she'd like the Fenix L1P just as well.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
carrot said:
The HDS EDC Basic 60 LE sounds like it would fit the bill.

I think the U60 is also a bit below $200 now and it can be programmed to come on at the brightest level or it can come on at any level and if you push the button it goes to the brightest level.

CLHC

Flashaholic
You can check out the Aleph series from The Sandwich Shoppe. That is if they're still available after what has recently been brought to light concerning these. . .

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input.....she has had a look at the HDS line of lights but didnt want to re-program the setting on the U models after each battery change, likes things to be simple....also run time not that critical if rechargeable cells available....I think carrot is on the right track with the B60LE....but perhaps there are other choices...

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, when you change batteries on an HDS, it is considered a SOFT RESET, in that all user-defined settings are maintained. There's a special process to follow to do a HARD RESET which sets everything back to factory defaults. So with that, I do believe that the HDS utlimate models will be perfect for your wife with that budget.

WP

cernobila said:
Thanks for the input.....she has had a look at the HDS line of lights but didnt want to re-program the setting on the U models after each battery change, likes things to be simple....also run time not that critical if rechargeable cells available....I think carrot is on the right track with the B60LE....but perhaps there are other choices...

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
If runtime is not an issue if rechargeables are used, check out the ORB RAW Ns. Super small. Max output greater than HDS U60. Has a low mode. Sold for 55 pounds sterling (includes battery and nano charger). Problem may be the fact that it is a twisty, as opposed to a push button......

Pretty stylish, tho.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes the Leatherman….my wife always has her Juice XE6 with her in her handbag...she is always ready and gets funny looks from male colleagues at various work situations...

I do have the HDS Basic 60 myself but she does not like the primary as first output. She finds herself doing a lot of travelling after dark and wants to check out any surprises with maximum setting only one click away....does not like the U models...she has a hard time setting an alarm clock, let alone be given a lot of choices and an instruction book to carry around...Thinks that the B60LE is the closest at this stage....unless someone has a much better idea....

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a mod out of a 1AA or 2AA light + 1 Badboy or Madmax from sandwich shoppe, made with 2 settings
as nothing really suitable is out yet.

next best choices (without the low setting in original condition):

choice No1: triton P1 (dealers corner)
choice No2: Fenix L1P

Blazer

Enlightened
I'd also suggest the HDS EDC Basic 60 LE, seems to meet most of the criteria you specified, although I'm not sure if it can run on rechargeables.

carrot

Flashaholic
Blazer said:
I'd also suggest the HDS EDC Basic 60 LE, seems to meet most of the criteria you specified, although I'm not sure if it can run on rechargeables.
I think that all HDS EDC lights can.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife took my SureFire L4. She really enjoys using it -- simple and easy to operate, bright, and small.

I used to enjoy using it. . .

Scott

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has used my L2 a few times but thinks its too long for EDC, hence keeps checking out my HDS Basic 60.....I had a good look at the "flashlightreviews.com" performance data and found that the HDS 60 outperformed all other single cell lights in the data base. Come to think of it, it outperformed or was practically the same as most 2 cell LED lights as well. I am finding it hard to criticize this light.....so it looks like the B60LE has got the vote, going, going, gone?....

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems like you are discribing the HDS Basic 60. Nothing to program and 2 stages... nice and small... 60 lumens.

-David