Dog Walking Torch for The Wife?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff is a great idea just not that one. She needs the 18650 wildcat for dog walking. Huge beam plenty of throw and brightness
I generally walk my dog with something like 50 lm. I think a wildcat might be a bit overkill. But if she wants to light up the entire night, like it's daytime, all the power to her. The wildcat does look like a pretty sick light though.
I'm not sure why cradle charging lights don't get the respect they deserve around here. I wish all of my lights would sit in a cradle at 100%.

Last edited:

DE73

Newly Enlightened
Cheers for everyone's suggestions ... must admit my 1st thought was a Convoy S2 / S2+ as i use one for cycling and a couple of friends were so impressed they bought them as well and they've been going strong for about 4 years now and one of these may still be up for consideration.

Some of the other suggestions were discounted as they may be too big / not an easy pocket torch for when it's not needed and I get she deserves a good torch but I was being kind whan I said it "may" get lost ..... if the number of house keys I've had to get cut is anything to go by (now have it clipped on the dog treat bag with an extendable cord), it's not if, it's just when so my reason for looking more budget.

In looking up some of the suggestions I stumbled across Sofirn which I don't think were a name when I was a torchaholic ... are they generally considered quite good, I like the look of the SC18 ... even if she left it on high which hopefully is unlikely there's still 2.5 hours runtime, the lowest setting is 100 lumen which is a lot better than many of the others which around he 30/40 level and give brilliant runtime.
It's also easy for her to just plug it in to charge and with a spare battery in the bag should more than cater for her needs.

@DE73 ... don't know why I hadn't thought about a head torch but totally makes sense, my most used torch of all is probably an old
Manker EO3H - AA headtorch .... any suggestions what may be good?
I have used a Zebralight H51 AA since 2011. I have used it for longer hiking trips, backpacking, camping etc. It's so small so you can also hold it in your hand if you only need it a short time. You can also remove the headband and clip it to your clothes to shine up the path.

Witterings

Enlightened
I have used a Zebralight H51 AA since 2011. I have used it for longer hiking trips, backpacking, camping etc. It's so small so you can also hold it in your hand if you only need it a short time. You can also remove the headband and clip it to your clothes to shine up the path.

Cheers for that, I'll take a look at theirs ... I have 4 of their other torches and they're great!

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
A question first: Does she wear some type of reflective/lighted belt/strap/vest? How about the dog? Those will alert the driver long before the torch is fired up.

My favorite was my trusty Zebralight SC600. Nice center spot with plenty of spill. 18650 for longevity. I recently purchased a Fenix LD30 and it has become my new go to for dog walking (well, if I'm not in the mood for my BLF Q8....). Similar comments as the SC600, only more lumens. But it has a tail momentary switch. Side switch to set output level. So would only have to cycle the tail switch on and off. A bit pricey maybe.

Good luck with your choice.

Happy wife, happy life....

haveyouseenthelight

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what your budget is but you could consider one of the rechargeable Fenix models like the LD30R if the UI isn't too complex. They have high output and are easy to recharge.

Or if you want cheaper and simpler I second bykfixers mini-mag suggestion.

Witterings

Enlightened
A question first: Does she wear some type of reflective/lighted belt/strap/vest? How about the dog? Those will alert the driver long before the torch is fired up.

My favorite was my trusty Zebralight SC600. Nice center spot with plenty of spill. 18650 for longevity. I recently purchased a Fenix LD30 and it has become my new go to for dog walking (well, if I'm not in the mood for my BLF Q8....). Similar comments as the SC600, only more lumens. But it has a tail momentary switch. Side switch to set output level. So would only have to cycle the tail switch on and off. A bit pricey maybe.

Good luck with your choice.

Happy wife, happy life....

The walking when it's dark is across fields so fortunately don't have to worry about cars, it's more just to see where she's going and not falling into the farmers ditches but they do have reflective collars as well which show up really well when a torch catches them, especially useful as they're black labradors which don't show up that well in the dark :LOL::LOL:

I've got 2 of the SC600's (don't ask how I ended up with 2 ... long story :) ) great torches, have seriously thought about giving her one of those but again if it's lost it's the cost (and they're no longer replaceable), and rechargeable will make it so much easier for her to do.

Do like the look of the Fenix LD30, specifically for her the 150 lumen which is what I think she'd use most and 17 Hrs is a great combo but again they're not cheap, could be naughty and get one of those to replace my Convoy S2 on my bike and give her the Convoy :)

@haveyouseenthelight ... see you 2nd the Fenix .... did go back and have a look at the mini-mag but it's quite long which isn't an easy pocket.

I think I'm going to try the Sofirn SC18 and see how she gets along with it, if for any reason she doesn't like it or it doesn't work well then maybe get the Fenix but attach it to the Dog Bag on a lanyard or something.

I'd then still us the SC18, I get a bit precious about the torches I like and probably wrongly treat them a bit like showpieces when they should really used hard, be nice to have something I really didn't give a monkey's about and if it gets dropped / smashed / skuffed doing DIY or falls out of a pocket and gets lost it really doesn't matter.

Cheers for eveybody's help / input .... is much appreciated (y):)