SMJLED Blast

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I debated whether or not to post this mod since it's almost trivial, but I'm so impressed with the result that it's well worth the effort for anyone with a Blast (made by PrincetonTec). If you're not familiar with the Blast, it's a plastic 2 X AAA cell light, with the cells loaded side by side. The head is the twist switch, and it's waterproof to 1000 ft.

It's a pretty straigthforward and self explanatory mod. The LED/reflector module can be disassembled from the back by cutting off the heads of the 4 heat-flattened posts. The reflector needs to be drilled out, and a tight fit is helpful so the focus can be tested (squeeze a coin cell between the legs of the LED), the module reassembled, and the legs soldered while holding focus.

The switch is a very tiny piece of stamped metal that straddles two of the posts, so be careful not to lose it.

I broke one of the PCB foil strips going to the emitter when I drilled out the holes for the larger LED legs, so I just bridged to the battery contact post with solder.

To fix the module back together, take a warm soldering iron tip, and press into the center of the 4 posts. The plastic will flow out and mushroom around the PCB and the tiny switch contact.

front1eu.jpg

pillback3kl.jpg

pillfront4df.jpg

Here's a beamshot with a CR2 Mag hosting a TerraLux TLE-5 module on the left, the SMJLED Blast at center, and an Arc AAA-P on the right. Perhaps it's the 21 mm reflector of the Blast, but it is more impressive than a similar SMJLED equipped AA or AAA Mag.
beamtle5blastarcp0op.jpg

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice... I think a similar light but with 4xAAA would be outstanding, but I'm not sure of any 4xAAA PR base lights out there. I will happily live with a TEC40 with a 4 cell SMJLED though.

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so I'm a copycat. I had some "leftover" SMJLEDs and saw some PT Blasts in Sigman's 2'fer sale, so I figured why not. I'd have to say this these are the smallest, best performing SMJLED hosts I have yet to use.

Yellow SMJLED host focused for more corona...

Black SMJLED host focused for a tighter spot...

My TT1L on incan. for reference...

:)
-DF

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
DFiorentino said:
Ok, so I'm a copycat. I had some "leftover" SMJLEDs and saw some PT Blasts in Sigman's 2'fer sale, so I figured why not. I'd have to say this these are the smallest, best performing SMJLED hosts I have yet to use.

-DF
DF,

Not a "copycat" at all. My only reason for posting the mod was hope that someone else would try it since my results were so gratifying.

I agree, it's the best performing host for an SMJLED that I have tried. Nice job!

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! I had been debating trying that mod myself. I put a Nite-Ize module into a Blast, and it puts out a lot of light but is kind of a rough beam with lots of artifacts. Looks like I have a new project for this weekend! :thumbsup:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
WEllllllll now!! I received a pleasant surprise package in the mail from LED Zeppelin and one of these was included :thanks: !!
Now I need to round up all those Blasts that I sold off and mod them! :D

Additionally this was my first exposure (pun intended!) to the SMJLED - got to say that this little GEM absolutely SHOCKED ME!!!!!

EXCELLENT and very PRACTICAL mod! GREAT JOB LZ!!!!

Thank you indeed for such a surprise!! Ya' got me with this one!! :thumbsup:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha ha Sigman,

Think you can get away with all the generosity you show to us without consequence?

You had it coming, and then some. Cheers to Sigman!

Now to see about the UK 2 X AAA lights I just received from you. Looks moddable, but not even close to the size of the Blast reflector. So far the Blast tops the list of SMJLED hosts.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put one of these together last night and it is awesome! The beam quality is as pretty as you could hope for, and the brightness is great. I am very impressed with this combo overall. . :thumbsup:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad others are getting similar results, I almost thought I had won the SMJLED lottery with the original mod.

I bought a couple UK 2 X AAA lights from Sigman, and did the SMJLED transplant, but with the much smaller reflector they don't hold a candle to the Blast. They turned out nice, still very bright, but that light has a clear one-piece bezel/lens/head that is a bit distracting. When the light is on, the entire head will light up and detract from your vision.

So far the Blast is SMJLED king. I think the reflector itself is worth harvesting for use in other mods.

Tritium

Enlightened
I modded one of these with my 5mm WahWang 4 die parts. Been running for 8 days continuously now. still outputting plenty of light for night reading and navigation through the "furniture maze".

Thurmond

Bandgap

Enlightened
Is that an SMJLED with the cut down top, or the one with normal 5mm-looking end?

And, where can I get a suitable SMJLED in the UK.

Thanks

Steve