Minimax 1AA

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I am considering buying that Minimax 1AA made by Terralux. If nothing else, just to have something to compare my L1P to. It looks like a cut down MM, but has a tail switch. What a neat idea.

I would like a low budget review from someone who already has one.

I'll prolly buy it anyway, since I had to go out and get a solitaire after reading in this forum about how bad they are. Yep, sure enuff, its all true.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I ran across several threads by searching for "Minimax" using the SEARCH function at the top of the page.

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen some reviews as well on some of the review sites.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never held one so take this for what it's worth... but I've read a few posts saying that the paint would flake off... and the posters thought that it might actually be painted rather than the baked on Type II finish.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several moths ago we had a few threads on that light. The verdict was the the Fenix L1P was WAY better than the minimax.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Yeah, I should have done a search before posting this thread. I didn't even think about it.

Since I have only been a CPFer since Feb, I missed all those threads back in Oct and Nov last year.

The general consensus seems to be that the Minimax is less than what I had hoped for.

Oh well, too late. I already ordered one and its already shipped. I will post an informal review when it arrrives.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bozzlite said:
Yeah, I should have done a search before posting this thread. I didn't even think about it.

Since I have only been a CPFer since Feb, I missed all those threads back in Oct and Nov last year.

The general consensus seems to be that the Minimax is less than what I had hoped for.

Oh well, too late. I already ordered one and its already shipped. I will post an informal review when it arrrives.

When you get it......you may find.....like I did.....that it is not very bright and the LED color is way to the yellow side . Mine almost looks incandescent in color.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad light to use around the house, tint is a bit off but not vomit inducing. Nice clickie which, so far, is flicker free and reliable.Annoying to find the head glued to the body so effort and ingenuity are needed to have a look at what's inside.
Probably a bit too dear for what it is but not my least favorite light of all (Much better than the last 1AA luxeon light that terralux brought out).

...the other half is a...wild animal....ray-zor...ray-zor...ray-zor...

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Nyctophiliac said:
Not a bad light to use around the house, tint is a bit off but not vomit inducing. Nice clickie which, so far, is flicker free and reliable.Annoying to find the head glued to the body so effort and ingenuity are needed to have a look at what's inside.
Probably a bit too dear for what it is but not my least favorite light of all (Much better than the last 1AA luxeon light that terralux brought out).

...the other half is a...wild animal....ray-zor...ray-zor...ray-zor...

Actually your are right, it is not a bad little light to use around the house, if you do what I did with it.

I unscrewed the head, pulled the LED and reflector out and installed them in a Minimag. Works great! By the way, the head is NOT glued on. It has left hand threads. Just turn it clockwise to unscrew it.

Then I installed a Nite Ize drop in module and reflector in the little 1AA Minimax, and it works great also. The tail switch is not interchangeable with a maglite tail cap tho. I mean, it will work, but does not screw in all the way.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah,

Does that mean that it is just the terralux MM drop in in a cut down and non actionable case?

I already tried the tailcap...:thumbsdow...oh well!

My son Likes it as well as I...he is two! Just above my level of sophistication!!!!

...You are the Earl of Greystoke!!!!!.....

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Nyctophiliac said:
Ah,

Does that mean that it is just the terralux MM drop in in a cut down and non actionable case?

I already tried the tailcap...:thumbsdow...oh well!

Yes Nycto, thats how it appears to me. A regular TLE-5 drop in module and reflector in the head. Its even the newer style reflector that gives a nice spot with no donut hole. It is every bit as bright as the rest of my MM drop ins.