Need a Surefire G2 sized light with more throw...

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a different light to replace my G2. More and more lately I've been put off by its inability to throw.

Before anybody makes any suggestions for LED lights, I'm not looking at LED lights to replace this at all. I have LED's lights already. I'm looking for an incandescant about the size of the G2 or slightly larger, with more throw. My 2cell Maglites, while putting out less light, throw quite a ways further.

So the thing is, I don't really need more lumens. And I want to keep a decent runtime. I want something that can project a decent beam down into a valley 150 yards below. I want a true outdoor flashlight, not a shorter range 'tactical' one, but I still want it around the size of a G2.

Maybe something like a Streamlight Strion? I'm kind of more interested in non-rechargeable lights though for this purpose. I like to just pop in more batteries and go. And I'm not wanting to buy a charger right now to recharge 'spare' rechargeables.

So I assume this light will probably have to run on CR123A's, which is fine by me.

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about looking into the Laser Devices Operative/Operator series available from Light-Edge?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
A non-LED light that's roughly the size of a G2, runs on primaries, and has good throw? My gut reaction is the Streamlight TL3.

It's a 3xCR123 incan flashlight that's inexpensive and has great throw. In fact, according to QuickBeam's excellent charts (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_throw.htm), it puts out roughly twice the light - and throws approximately twice as far - as the G2. It runs on primaries or rechargeables, and is only an inch or two longer than your G2. It costs ~$45, and really is one of the better values in flashlights.

You mentioned the strion. It's also a great light; it has great throw, but as you mentioned it's rechargeable. However, it's really worth considering. The rechargeable batteries are fairly cheap, and you could always carry a second (after all, you were already planning to carry the extra batteries for your non-rechargeable G2!)

Hope this helps!

- FITP

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
That helps alot, thank you. I really like the size of the Strion for the amount of Lux you get.

I'm looking for something pocketable, so I think the TL3 is out. But that's an interesting option as well.

I may just end up with a Strion in the end. Are new lamps easy to obtain for the Strion? Any higher capacity batteries (than factory) out there?

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
How about the 6P? Its roughly the size of the G2, The runtime is bad on the super high output assembly. But it runtime is descent with the stock bulb.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Btw, I was wondering, are the lithium ion cells in the Strion "protected". I've always avoided Li-ions because they seem kind of dangerous.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Mini-Moder said:
How about the 6P? Its roughly the size of the G2, The runtime is bad on the super high output assembly. But it runtime is descent with the stock bulb.

Hi there. The 6P uses the same P60 lamp as the G2, so it will have the same beam. It goes out and out and diffuses so greatly which is what I don't like about it. Great for short ranges to medium-short ranges outside and inside though.

BBL

Enlightened
Pelican M6 - two cells, same throw as the Surefire M3 (6100 lux@1m), if the numbers from flashlightreviews.com can be trusted.

i own the G2 and the PM6 - the PM6 has an 'inner hotspot' where it throws significantly farther thant the G2. imho the G2/P60 beam is a medium spot.

juancho

Enlightened
TACM III, smaller and ligther than the G-2 or 6P. 115 lumens with a reflector that is bigger in diameter than the P-60 and is polished smooth for throw.

I use them on my long guns

gunlights.jpg

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
TL3, the Strion throws good, but just doesn't get as much light down range as the TL3. :)

Delta

Enlightened
BBL said:
Pelican M6 - two cells, same throw as the Surefire M3 (6100 lux@1m), if the numbers from flashlightreviews.com can be trusted.

i own the G2 and the PM6 - the PM6 has an 'inner hotspot' where it throws significantly farther thant the G2. imho the G2/P60 beam is a medium spot.

Oh yeah, I second that. I recently got a Pelican M6 and compared to my 6P, it is a Surefire-killer. The beam is SIGNIFICANTLY more focused and has the longest throw I have ever seen on a 2-cell tactical light. The thing is like a laser beam. I also think it is overall higher quality than the 6P and comes with a real nice cordura holster that has a side pouch that holds two spare CR123's.

You can't go worng with an M6 lithium, and at that price point, it has zero competition.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two 2-cell (6V) lights might outthrow the Pelican M6:
  • Wolf Eyes 6MX: 120 lumens focused by a 36mm reflector. The bezel is 42mm, 1mm wider than the Streamlight TL-3's.
  • Digilight T6 with the company's range extender head (43mm bezel), or the comparable setup from Cabela's GXP (GPX?) line.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Try a P90 lamp assembly and 2 unprotected Li-ion cells in the G2 body. You save money on batteries, get 100+lumen output, and the throw is fantastic. I have a similar setup and it really lights up things well. My current avatar shows it.

Longbow

Enlightened
I often alternate EDC a PM6 Lithium, much more throw than a P60, about the same amount of flood, and runtime with a flatter discharge curve. Tne silver option is a rather durable finish too. I've also installed a UCL lense.

firefly99

Enlightened
What you need is to add a KT1 turbo head to your G2 ? It will project the beam much further than the G2.

I did notice that my PM6 outthrow the G2, but it does not feel as good as a SF in my hand. So I got the KT1 turbo head to improve the throw of G2.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC the TACM, ASP Triad, and the Pelican M6 were all top throw 2 cell lights as tested by one of our illustrious CPFers. T

he TL-3 however is a serious throw monster for its size and then some. It is only a bit longer and the body is slimmer than a G2. It can also be run on Pilas.

-LT