Unused lithium batteries are nearly dead - why?

Craig720

Enlightened
The only thing I can think of is, the box was not full, so several fell over and may have been jumbled about so their terminals were touching from time to time. Could this drain CR123 batteries to critically low levels?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why it happened, but the forum is starting to see a remarkable number of funny reports related to Li cells and shortened life.

Maybe one of the moderators would consider to start a "dead / short life Li cell" report sticky thread ? Info might contain things like brand, date on cells, source, storage conditions, anything unusual noticed. Sometimes, if we start putting things in one place, some kind of pattern becomes more clear.

Craig720

Enlightened
HarryN said:
Not sure why it happened, but the forum is starting to see a remarkable number of funny reports related to Li cells and shortened life.

Maybe one of the moderators would consider to start a "dead / short life Li cell" report sticky thread ? Info might contain things like brand, date on cells, source, storage conditions, anything unusual noticed. Sometimes, if we start putting things in one place, some kind of pattern becomes more clear.

They were SureFire brand batteries. The bright red ones. They were in a cardboard 12-pack and were stored under our kitchen sink. Cool and dry. Low humidity. I think I bought them no later than December 2003 from www.tacticalwarehouse.com, which seems to have gone out of business.

Kershaw

Enlightened
I have had that happen with SF 123s too. Left some fresh 123s in my 6p for a week and when i pushed the button, nothing. I now buy titanium 123s and have not had any problems with them.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
enlightenme said:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

I'm pretty much a greenhorn here, but could the site listed above explain why? Check out paragraph 7.
Welcome enlightenme,
These reports that we keep hearing about refer to primary Lithium Manganese Dioxide cells. They are not rechargable and one of their selling points is that they are supposed to have a ten year shelf life.

Lithium-ion is a whole 'nother chemistry. They are rechargeable and as the Battery University article mentions, their capacity begins to deteriorate after the first year whether they are being used or just sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

Stick around. If you aready know about the Battery University you're in the right place here at CPF.
Sub

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Craig,

I would suggest you get in touch with SureFire. I would not expect them to replace your batteries, but you never know...

I think they may be interested in taking a look at some, or at least hearing your story.

The most common cause of failure is a seal that stops working properly. This allows the volatile component of the electrolyte to evaporate.

Tom

Craig720

Enlightened
SilverFox said:
Hello Craig,

I would suggest you get in touch with SureFire. I would not expect them to replace your batteries, but you never know...

I think they may be interested in taking a look at some, or at least hearing your story.

The most common cause of failure is a seal that stops working properly. This allows the volatile component of the electrolyte to evaporate.

Tom

I'd be happy to show them to SureFire, but they got pitched last week. I live in a tiny townhouse. That which doesn't function gets thrown out, pronto.