Surefire L2 and L4 Owners…….Beam Comparisons Please

faco

Enlightened
I am thinking of buying a Surefire L2 and would like to know if the beam on the L2 is as broad as the L4. I have read as many threads as I could find with a variety of info on both lights. I am familiar with only one SF, the newer type SF L1 but don't like the tight beam at all. I have seen many beamshots of the L4 compared to other lights but not the L2.

Can someone help me compare the beam of the SF L2 with the L4 ?

I will use the light for around the home and also outdoors, I like the 2-stage on the L2, the Flood on the L4 and the fact I can use the KL4 on a VG-Fb1 body when needed as a small Flood light. I'm not sure which way to go and my brain has been (flooded) with so much info and now I am asking for more info........symptoms of this crazy disease

My PD is looking for a new friend with lots of spill/flood

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Sorry, no beam shots, but the two L2's I have tried and compared to my own L4, have both had similar flood patern and a bit more power than the L4.

nuggett

Enlightened
My L4 and L2 beams look the same
Get the L4 and a 2 stage switch

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always thought the output and beamshape of the L2 and L4 were pretty much exactly the same except it seems that something about the circuit of the L2 boosts output for the first few minutes. After running the L2 (on high) and the L4 for 10 minutes or so, they look identical to my eyes.

With the relatively short lifetime of Lux V emitters, I have to think that an L4 would last a bit longer than an L2 if the L2 is used on high quite often. Still, you have the Surefire warranty to fall back on.

For my money, I'd be all about the L4 with a 2 stage clickie. Both for a bit longer runtime on high, you get to choose how low you want your low to be, and mostly for the shorter length.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
I would also vote for going the L4 route, because of these advantages: better regulation curve than L2, shorter, no whining noise, more lego options.

Now let me ask what may turn out to be a stupid question: does the fact that the L2's lower level is regulated, and I assume PWMed, mean that its lower level would produce a WHITER light than the resistored lower level of a 2-stage-L4? I.e., is there less risk of tint-distortion by using PWM than a power-starving, out-of-regulation, regulator circuit?