LED Lantern Recommendations, please!

Lightcollector

Newly Enlightened
A friend is looking for a low cost rechargable LED lantern for camping. Does anyone have any reasonably bright, cost effective (edit: very cheap... $20) suggestions that should survive without random failures? Thanks!

He is looking to fully light up at least a small room/tent with no dark spots, so I would assume 500 lumens would be the bare mininum.

Last edited:

hsa

Enlightened
I have been using one of these for a couple years and it has worked great. Power outages, refrigerator repair and outdoor cooking. I got it as a gift and probably would not have bought myself but it has worked surprisingly well. Has a warm light for low. At least something to consider, it is inexpensive. I recommended it to a friend who also bought one and he also has had good luck with it.

Lightcollector

Newly Enlightened
I have been using one of these for a couple years and it has worked great. Power outages, refrigerator repair and outdoor cooking. I got it as a gift and probably would not have bought myself but it has worked surprisingly well. Has a warm light for low. At least something to consider, it is inexpensive. I recommended it to a friend who also bought one and he also has had good luck with it.
Okay, I will take a look at this option and pass it on. This particular model appears to be a D cell, but it looks like they have a lithium as well. Which do you have?
IMO, lanterns are pretty much obsolete.

A normal flashlight with a light diffuser cone should work fine, and would be a lot more versatile.
I agree for the most part, but my friend was specifically looking for lanterns and I don't know if cheaper flashlights would suit his goal.

Lightcollector

Newly Enlightened
Please define low cost
Great question, I had originally assumed $20-50 dollars was a reasonable range. However, when I asked for a ballpark budget number I was told $20. Which is more in line with non-rechargable units.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Outdoors at night, even 100 lumens should be plenty as a starting point, and cranking up the lumens inside your tent is a great way to not be able to see anything if you have to leave the tent before sunrise. So I'd definitely make sure that whatever you end up with also has a "low" mode.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sometimes, you just have to pull a friend aside and tell him, "Listen, for what you want; they don't offer it for the price you're willing to pay."

I get it.... Something like that is hard for most folks to hear.
Maybe check eBay for a used example of such a rechargeable lantern?
Though literally anything on the bay that's "Pre-owned" and in good condition, tends to be priced as if it were new; or even over new prices.

So, any bargain will likely be in beat-up condition. As long as your friend doesn't mind, then his budget might be viable.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a 3D printer, print diffusers for lights that you have already.

Ue2y79a.jpg

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add some AA Eneloops to this, and they're good to go.

Don't forget the prepper 30% discount.

Lightcollector

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors at night, even 100 lumens should be plenty as a starting point, and cranking up the lumens inside your tent is a great way to not be able to see anything if you have to leave the tent before sunrise. So I'd definitely make sure that whatever you end up with also has a "low" mode.
Great point! I was focusing on his request to get a really bright light and forgot about the low mode.
Add some AA Eneloops to this, and they're good to go.

Don't forget the prepper 30% discount.
I hadn't seen this bundle before, I will take look!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Ditto on the use of flashlight diffusers

I'll suggest a Dr Prepare cob worklight

It holds 2 18650 batteries and is rechargeable. It can be used as a power bank.

Poppy

Flashaholic
You can get a convoy S2+ for about $20 and a diffuser for it for a couple more.
I use one with the biscotti driver, that has a really low so that it will run all night as a night light.
The battery needs to be removed to recharge it.

1696647223907.png

DE73

Newly Enlightened
Maybe not low cost but nice lanterns. I have the LM4 for camping and hiking.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LL ML4 is great I own the warm White version, with the 14500 cell this light is extreme bricht on the high setting. The good point is the Lantern works with NiMH cells without any problem. Only the highest setting is lese bright.
I would also recommend Black Diamond Moji+ or Moji R+ the first is for 3 AA cells the second has a built in battery. Both are really nice, has additionally a campfire mode and Colors. I habe this lanters since a year without having a problem.

Last edited: