Fun flashlight moment in tornado weather

benh

Newly Enlightened
So I was driving towards Springfield from Chicago on Sunday night and got caught in the heavy weather out there. It was raining incredibly hard, to the point where I was looking for a place to pull off until it let up. We were a couple miles North of Springfield.

I could no longer see the highway, and conveniently, there was a rest stop right there, so we pulled off. As we sat in the car listening to the radio, the rest stop lost power and almost simultaneously, they reported a tornado warning. We grabbed our coats and headed toward the building, where some folks had already gathered.

I had an Arc around my neck as EDC, and left an L2P in my bag in the car, along with an Infinity. In my coat pocket was a Surefire G2, which ended up being the only light I used. I also had various other crap in my pockets as EDC, including a Prybaby, a Ritter Minigrip, lighter, etc.

Most people were just standing there looking at the rain. I fired up the G2 and immediately began looking around at the restroom building and the adjacent vending hut, to determine which place would be best in the event of a tornado. I checked out both buildings and also looked around the perimeter of the buildings for potential problems.

The vending hut looked more solid, and had fewer windows, but it was also full of vending machines and people. When I came into the hut to look around, people thought I was a cop or something, probably because of the light.

"Wow! A cop! Assistance is here!" My response was pretty much that assistance wasn't here. I was just trying to find the safest place to be. Everyone started laughing, and then they decided I was a trucker. Nope, just a guy with a flashlight.

Decided that the bathrooms would be the safest place, despite the glass. Less heavy stuff to blow around and smush us.

Meanwhile, there's a ton of strong wind and buckets of rain coming down. By this point, there are about 20 people huddled under the overhang by the bathrooms. Of them I was the only one with a flashlight, though a couple of newcomers had some small AA incans of one kind or another and one older lady had a coin cell LED light, still in the packaging.

Took advantage of my light to use the rest room, and lent it to a few others for the same purpose. One guy, after coming back out, handed me my light and made a comment to the effect that I sure was prepared. My automatic response was "Always."

Things began to calm down quite a bit, and the storm blew over. One of the people in our little refugee group was on his Nextel to someone in Springfield, and we learned that several tornadoes had touched down along 55 very near us and that there was a truck overturned on 55 to the South of us.

Everyone hung out for a while to make sure things blew over and I went to talk to a trucker to find out what the road ahead was like. He indicated that 55N was closed due to overturned trucks, but that southbound was more or less clear.

Went to the vending hut to let those folks know and they were all gone, leaving behind a ton of broken vending machine glass and some empty wrappers. They actually broke out the glass front on one of the machines and stole the snacks. I was dumbfounded.

That was about it for the fun. We got back in the car and headed South on 55, listening to the reports. Turns out that we got lucky. If we'd been maybe 15 or 20 minutes later, we'd have been in the Decatur area, which got completely slammed, with a 1/2 mile wide tornado and 1.75 inch hail. Damn. As it stands, we later learned that a tornado has passed within about a mile of us at the rest stop.

At any rate, the G2 worked perfectly, and we made it home safely, if a bit behind schedule. I blame my girlfriend for the tornados, though. As we were driving through the heavy rain, she'd posed a hypothetical question:

"Which would you rather be in, a fire or a tornado?" I picked tornado. So maybe it's my fault.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
(I guess not). I wish this stuff would happen to me more often. I always pack my gearbag, its not really a BOB, cause it goes everywhere with me its just a gear bag. I keep it loaded with 3 or 4 two ways, my mini CB, 4 or 5 flashlights. Plus I carry a bunch of stuff on me. And I have never had to use it. It is very sad. The part where they broke the vending machine was kind of disturbing. How long where you there?

Last edited:

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Went to the vending hut to let those folks know and they were all gone, leaving behind a ton of broken vending machine glass and some empty wrappers. They actually broke out the glass front on one of the machines and stole the snacks. I was dumbfounded.

I am dumbfounded just by reading this. What is wrong with people?

benh

Newly Enlightened
All told, we were there about an hour. I was having a great time. I'm sure that if a tornado had come right through us, I'd have been scared shitless, but as it was, I was having a blast.

About the only time I was uneasy was after most people had left.

I was checking the map by the bathrooms with my light to see where the tornadoes were in relation to where I was, based on the radio reports. Dark behind me, bright light to read the map, and I heard people behind me. Turned out to be nothing, but it still made me uneasy.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting experience BenH! Good to be prepared for the "unexpected" eh? Looks like the SureFire G2 "weathered" the weather! :huh:

Grubbster

Enlightened
benh said:
Took advantage of my light to use the rest room, and lent it to a few others for the same purpose. One guy, after coming back out, handed me my light and made a comment to the effect that I sure was prepared. My automatic response was "Always."
I hope you sanitized your light afterwards! :toilet:

carrot

Flashaholic
benh said:
By this point, there are about 20 people huddled under the overhang by the bathrooms. Of them I was the only one with a flashlight, though a couple of newcomers had some small AA incans of one kind or another and one older lady had a coin cell LED light, still in the packaging.

I love how you don't consider the little incans to be flashlights. :lolsign: