Where to order a 2 stage for Surefire L4?

gigainternational

Newly Enlightened
Need some helps - where can I order the 2 stage switch for Surefire L4? I found the threads to buy L4 at http://www.opticshq.com/ with CPF discount and many folks telling to get the 2 stage... But I have searched both the surefire and CPF - can not find this part?
:thanks:

luigi

Enlightened
Hi!

Wayne at the Sandwich Shoppe has them:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php

Aleph Flat Top Tailcap (Natural) with 2-stage switch (5 in stock)
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=573

This fits an L4/E1/E2 body perfectly. It's a Twisty switch with a button, pressing the button lightly gets you to momentary-low, pressing harder momentary-high.
Twisting the tailcap a little turns low mode on (and can push the button for momentary high), twisting further gets you to high mode (button does nothing here of course)

You need to indicate the resistor value. I used 22ohm and works fine to me but your mileage might vary.

BTW: The store is 100% reliable. Wayne is great.

Luigi

gigainternational

Newly Enlightened
:thanks: I'll check it out. So SF did not offer such parts, only available in custom mods only, right? How many SF or other lights can be used with this switch?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire has two-stage switches, but they're very specific (like the A2) and not for any of the whole series runs (Like the E series, which would be the E1e, E2e, L4). The McE2S switch really rocks it out, though, trust me!!

luigi

Enlightened
gigainternational said:
:thanks: I'll check it out. So SF did not offer such parts, only available in custom mods only, right? How many SF or other lights can be used with this switch?

As far as I know the switch can be used in the Surefires E1 and E2 bodies this means E1L, E2L, E2E, E1E, L4.
It can also be used in the Aleph lights sold at the Sandwich shoppe. (You can check at the shoppe)

Luigi

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Just wanted to point out something that is perhaps obvious, but these only work with the Surefire LEDs. With that in mind I have them on a one cell and a 2 cell E series bodies and swap around KL1 and KL4 heads on those and they are fantastic.

luigi

Enlightened
If it helps you I have the flat end tailcap with a 22ohm resistor. (I love it)

I've tested and it works fine with

L4 (KL4 on E2E body) low setting is quite bright! (no rechargeables here please, the KL4 is not designed to stand 2 R123s!!)
E2L (KL1 on E2E) low setting again is quite bright, high only used to find distant objects. (rechargeables are fine here!)
E1L (KL1 on E1E) low is nice for house navigation (R123 = good!)
KL4 with E1 body low is nice for house navigation and good to preserve night vision, high is amazing (rechargeable battery strongly recommended here!). This is one of my favourite setups because you go from "nice little flashlight" to "HELLL!!! what is that?????" when you switch from low to high :))

Hope this helps.

Luigi

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
If and when you order a 2 stage switch from the Sandwich shop you can also order additional PCB's to experiment with to get your "low" setting to where you want it. Just remember the higher the number i.e. 60 ohm pcb the LOWER the light output. I use the 60 around the house at night as it is great at keeping night vision and still strong enough to light up hallways. (It won't do much outside though) That's the great thing about the interchangeable pcb's - they let you customize an already great custom switch.

Also, if you decide to use it in a 1 cell configuration definitely get the rechargeables as other posters have mentioned.

luigi

Enlightened
The L4 is a wonderful light, you basically have now an E2 body (2 cells), a KL4 head and a Z57 clickie switch (1 stage).

If you want to use your KL4 head with a 1-cell body you have several options.

- Buying a E1E or E1L body
- Buying a complete E1L so you also get the KL1 head (Better throw than the KL4 but less total light output)
- Buying a Vital Gead FB1 body (check www.lighthound.com)

Luigi

gigainternational said:
:thanks: Just ordered my first Surefire! Surefire L4 LumaMax
and almost click on the ordering button for Aleph Flat Top Tailcap (Natural) with 2-stage switch

Questions? How and where to get the setup with 1 CR123, the best source?

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
luigi said:
The L4 is a wonderful light, you basically have now an E2 body (2 cells), a KL4 head and a Z57 clickie switch (1 stage).

If you want to use your KL4 head with a 1-cell body you have several options.

- Buying a E1E or E1L body
- Buying a complete E1L so you also get the KL1 head (Better throw than the KL4 but less total light output)
- Buying a Vital Gead FB1 body (check www.lighthound.com)

Luigi

Lighthound also usually has E1L bodies in stock.

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
you can buy the rechargeable rcr123s / charger from AW under the "dealer" section

or Lighthound.com or batterystation.com

All great places to do business. And I am sure there are more...

gigainternational

Newly Enlightened
Should I get 3.6/3.7V or 3.0V rechargeable CR123 for L4? Protected or unprotected? I know it's risky to use RCR123 in any 2 cell light- is there a relative safe/user tested RCR123 battery if like to feed the L4 RCR123?
Thanks

luigi

Enlightened
As far as I know you shouldn't use rechargeables in an L4. The KL4 head that the L4 has is not designed to accept the higher voltage of rechargeables. Even 3.0V rechargeables will probably measure more than 3.0V when you take them off the charger.

You can use RCR123s if you put your KL4 head (the L4 head) in a 1-cell body.

On the other hand the KL1 head used in the E2L or E1L lights can accept rechargeables in both the 1-cell and 2-cell bodies.

This is the theory, maybe the L4 does ok with Rs but If I were you I wouldn't really make that experiment.

Luigi

gigainternational said:
Should I get 3.6/3.7V or 3.0V rechargeable CR123 for L4? Protected or unprotected? I know it's risky to use RCR123 in any 2 cell light- is there a relative safe/user tested RCR123 battery if like to feed the L4 RCR123?
Thanks

gigainternational

Newly Enlightened
I think you are right! No need to take the risk to use a RCR123 on KL4 (especially just for playing with, not really have lots of chance to use it for the longer period) ...Other smaller one-cell EDC type lights like Fenix L1P...is the one to use rechargeable.. We are new to the flashlight and just start to distribute some Fenix/Nuwai...etc.(propotionally more for fun than business)

This Surefire L4 will help me to find out more about this industry- compare to the Nuwai TM-301X-5/Q III we are booking.
Thanks for all your help! :)

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a Pila with the KL4 with no problems.

branny

Newly Enlightened
The Pila 168S is a perfect partner for the L4, it's my most commonly used light. Because the L4 is regulated it is almost as bright (as bright?) using a 3.7V source as a 6V source.

Hence there should be no problem using a RCR123 in a single cell body, thinking about a Vital Gear body myself. Should get around 30 minutes on high- anybody with any experience with this?