Ideas for an old Surefire Z2 body

ashman308

Newly Enlightened
I have my old original Z2 body and not using it. I moved the head and tailswitch to a 6P body a while back, with a Malkoff M61....just because the smooth body 6P was easier in and out of pocket. Nw I want to do something useful with the Z2 body.

I have a couple of M61 inserts, an NL and a LL, but would need tailswitch and head.

Throw some ideas my way....I don't NEED another light...but, none of us here really do either most likely. But, I have the body, might as well use it.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ask me a Z2 is was netter than a 6p. The Z2 is my favorite light.

Here you may understand the beauty of the Surefire Z2 (and a bronze HDS Rotary)

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're on the fence about getting a new head and tailcap, sell it in the BST forum. You'd have no problem selling it.

If you want to get it running again and don't want to track down a genuine Surefire bezel and tailcap (Z44/Z41), Lumens Factory has all kinds of tailcaps and heads that will fit the body. Experiment and try different combinations. I don't know if a Z2 body can be bored, but if not, get some 16650 Li-ions to power it.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Guilty as charged - since that one happened to be in the foreground for that older pic, I knew it would getcha. ;-)
It is of course possible to duplicate - Nitroz was able to facilitate with his lathe; the hardest part are the SF rubber pieces. :-/

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] I don't know if a Z2 body can be bored, but if not, get some 16650 Li-ions to power it.
It's a reasonably-good candidate for boring; not quite as robust as the P-series but better than the C-series with that single deep groove all by itself.

The 6Z and the 7Z in my pic above are bored; however, I went with providers that prioritized maximizing wall thickness over being able to fit the fattest 18650's.

Edit: BTW, who is providing bore services these days ? I confess to being rather out of the loop.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today bore a flashlight body is somehow not that easy anymore. Most bored Surefire lights I have are bored by Oveready. My Z3's are bored by PrecisionWorks.

From what I know both are not offering this service anymore or are not in business anymore.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I mean, if the body is going to not be used at all; get genuine SF replacement parts. If you want to build a light that'll see tons of use as a beater, Lumens Factory replacement parts will be your best bet.

rrego

Enlightened
I certainly concur on getting it back into service; ideally with purchasing the necessary SureFire parts on the used market. The Z2 is one of the best SF's ever; I happen to really like the entire series;

View attachment 57000
That G3Z is so sick! I love my Z2 and G2Z.

I even legoed a G2Z Maxvision, removed the head and put my first gen P2X Fury head on it. It's a first gen Fury P2X nitrolon combatlight 😆