• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 3/4W, 1W, or 1.5 watt ARC AAA using alkaline(3/4W only), NIMH or Prim. Lith AAA cells

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
3/4W, 1W, or 1.5 watt Luxeon ARC AAA using alkaline(3/4W only), NIMH or Prim. Lith.

MillerMods Arc AAA Custom Luxeon Flashlights - 3/4W, 1W, or 1.5-Watt using AAA 1.5V Alkaline (3/4W only), NIMH or Lithium cells

$25 for 1-level (labor & driver cost)

$35 for 2-levels (labor & driver cost)

Add $35 if I provide a complete ARC or Peak (body and head)

Add $10 if I provide just the ARC head. (It has the standard stock reflector finish unless you add services) They are the old style but work with the new bodies. They are best suited for this mod because the head is not tapered like the new ones.)

Add $12 if I provide a Lux 3 T-bin or Lux 1 S-bin; specific tints are available (other emitters that Photonfanatic has in stock are also possible).

Add $6 for a Lux I R-bin (RV1H)

Add $3 for a polished reflector, mirror finish

Add $13 for a parabolic cut reflector with a mirror finish. Gives a little hotter hotspot. The parabolic shape allows the light to reflect more collectively parallel due to the changing angle of the parabolic shape which causes the angle of incidence to be correct at any given point on the reflector. Simply put, it makes the reflected light travel more of the same direction. It doesn't take away from the amount of flood the corona gives, it just tightens the hotspot to give it more throw.

Add $5 for Priority shipping

Add $2 for First Class shipping

My turn around is typically 2-4 weeks

3/4 watt model are good with any 1.5V AAA cell you put into it, except for carbon-zinc batteries. (Best model w/ Alkalines)

1 watt model will be best with Lithium 1.5V cells and NIMH cells

1.5 watt model can be used with Lithium 1.5V cells, but NIMH cells are recommended due to very high current draw

Hi/Low- There are 3 different options for low: ~25mA drive, ~50mA drive and ~75mA drive.

The total amount of light produced is about the same as a overdriven 5mm when it's set to 25mA but the beam characteristics are completely different. The Lux will produce more corona than the 5mm but the 5mm has more of it's produced light in one spot. So at close range you're hard pressed to tell much of a difference and at further distances, the Lux will light up more area with less intensity when set on low. I would say the 75mA setting on low is more comparable in terms of hotspot comparison but the amount of overall light will be twice as much with the Lux.

Just to minimize any confusion, the high power levels are denoted by total power output or (Watts) and the low power drives are denoted as current level drives or in this case (milliAmperes). So the high output for the 1.5 watt mod is around 500mA of current drive.

Runtimes on HIGH power for all models (tested using a Sanyo 900mA NIMH cell):

3/4 watt = 70-80 minutes to 75% initial brightness

1 watt = 45-55 minutes to 75% initial brightness

1.25 watt = 30-45 minutes to 75% initial brightness

1.5 watts = 20-25 minutes to 75% initial brightness

Runtimes on LOW power for all models (tested using a 900mA NIMH cell):

25mA drive = 7 hrs

50mA drive = 4 hrs

75mA drive = 2.5 hrs

Batteries: Lithium are fine in any version. Alkalines will only work well in the 3/4-watt model. Rechargeable NIMH cells actually work the best of any cell in all models. Li-ion (3.6V) cells may NOT be used in any model.

Waterproof: The head is filled on the backside of the Lux with epoxy

Low/High activation: Twist on for one level and then on further for the next level. Low comes on first, then High next.

Here's a some pics and comparisons to the L0P (on the left) to the ARC 3/4 watt with an RV1H lux.

MM ARC on Low

MM ARC on High

Last edited:

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: High output Luxeon ARC AAA and ARC clone using regular 1.2 to 1.5V AAA cells

Is the arc on the right? If so then whats on the left?

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: High output Luxeon ARC AAA and ARC clone using regular 1.2 to 1.5V AAA cells

My bad. Its an Lop.

Cool.

randyo

Enlightened

Some questions - sorry if they're answered in another thread already:

1. Does it matter which vintage ARC AAA we send?

2. Is your mod epoxied to maintain the ARC's waterproof ability?

3. Low/High activation?? Twist on for one level and then on further for the next level?

4. Low first then high next?

5. Any approximate figures available for the runtimes?

6. When we send our ARC to you, are we receiving the same head back, or are you just using modified "dead-heads" purchased from ARC (asking for reasons of color-matching). ?

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Hi, MillerMods.

Awesome! I am a dummy in EE department, and a quick question about the current provided to the lux:

1) If the power to the lux is 3/4 watts, and assuming the Vf to the lux is around 3.03-3.27V(for the H bin), will it be right to assume the current provided to the lux is around 230-248ma?

2) Same idea applied to 1 to 1.5 watts version in the near future?

Thank you in advance!

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

randyo said:
Some questions - sorry if they're answered in another thread already:

1. Does it matter which vintage ARC AAA we send?

2. Is your mod epoxied to maintain the ARC's waterproof ability?

3. Low/High activation?? Twist on for one level and then on further for the next level?

4. Low first then high next?

5. Any approximate figures available for the runtimes?

Answers:
1. The version before their latest is O.K. and their latest version is O.K. but I haven't had any earlier than that to try.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Not yet, but they should be better than the L0P

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

AuroraLite said:
Hi, MillerMods.

Awesome! I am a dummy in EE department, and a quick question about the current provided to the lux:

1) If the power to the lux is 3/4 watts, and assuming the Vf to the lux is around 3.03-3.27V(for the H bin), will it be right to assume the current provided to the lux is around 230-248ma?

2) Same idea applied to 1 to 1.5 watts version in the near future?

Thank you in advance!

You are correct and the 1.5 watt will drive 500mA+ at that same Vf. The current draw from the NIMH will be very high at about 1.8 Amps.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 3/4 watt models are good with any cell you put into it except for those cheap carbon-zinc batteries.

The 1 watt model will be best with Lithium 1.5 volt cells and NIMH cells.

The 1.5 watt model can be used with Lithium 1.5 volt cells, but NIMH cells are recommended due to the very high current draw. (Personally, the Energizer Lithium 1.5V cells just get too expensive)

moeman

Enlightened

nice mod...
may be interested, like to see more info.
like will we get our original head back?

fore

Newly Enlightened

Hey moeman, I think he's modding the original heads by gutting them, installing his circuit and reaming out the reflector to a more parabolic shape. So the new head would be the old head.

Nell

Enlightened

What kind of run time for the three different heads?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nell said:
What kind of run time for the three different heads?

Here are the estimates for runtimes on high for all models using a Sanyo 900mAh NIMH cell.

3/4 watt = 1 hour and 20 minutes to 75% initial brightness.
1 watt = ~50 minutes to 75% initial brightness.
1.5 watts = ~25 minutes to 75% initial brightness.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Very Nice MillerMods, very nice! :thumbsup:

Darkstar

Newly Enlightened

So, does this mean that you are accepting orders? If so I have 2 ARC AAA's that could use an upgrade, 1 i think would work well w/ the 3/4 watt and the other will wait for the 1 watt 2 stage R-bin.

Thanks!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

I must say that you do some incredible work and have made a very big impression around here lately....

I have 2 questions for you as I am very interested in this offer. First can you tell me if you have somehow managed to work a heatsink into this host and if so does it perform well enough for extended use?
Second I have a very nice tinted luxeon (RYAH) and would it be possible for me to send a host light with my own luxeon? If so what would the cost be for the labor and your circuit with my parts?

Thanks for the time as well as this offer....very slick design

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

Robocop said:
I must say that you do some incredible work and have made a very big impression around here lately....

I have 2 questions for you as I am very interested in this offer. First can you tell me if you have somehow managed to work a heatsink into this host and if so does it perform well enough for extended use?
Second I have a very nice tinted luxeon (RYAH) and would it be possible for me to send a host light with my own luxeon? If so what would the cost be for the labor and your circuit with my parts?

Thanks for the time as well as this offer....very slick design

Yes to all of your questions. :) My heat sinking solution is very adequate; it transfers the heat from the lux to the case very well.

cy

Flashaholic

nicely done!!!

I'm in... PM sent

Cmoore

Enlightened

I recently received a special request Fenix mod from MillerMods -- the light exceeds my expectations. It's a Fenix head with a U-bin Lux III and a circuit optimized for rechargeable lithium ion batteries. I placed this special order after having had a MillerMod and been impressed with the workmanship and operation of the modded light. MillerMods does great work!

I've got couple of older ARC AAAs that will be on their way to MillerMods soon!

baylisstic

Enlightened

For the 2-levels, do we get to choose which level we want for low?