Anybody outside of the USA make top end flashlights?

ScottyJ

Enlightened
First off, I mean no offense to anyone.
In the USA we have surefire, ARC, HDS, streamlight, etc etc. (I am sure I have failed to list many).

I was just curious if there are many other companies in other countries who go after this very competitive market of top of the line flashlights?

marcspar

Enlightened
Orb in the UK comes to mind.

FaMi makes great lights in Italy, I belive.

TecLite in Hong Kong makes some serious dive lights.

There is also a German or Dutch firm that makes awesome dive lights, but I forget the name.....

Marc

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Not sure if you mean American company or American manufacturing. Streamlight is a US company but much of their product is manuf'd overseas.

If it's US companies, I'd include Underwater Kinetics and Princeton Tec.

As far as companies in other countries, I'd definitely include Lupine, Nuwai and Fenix. There are boutique makers in Argentina (Neoca) and Spain (Barbo) and Japan but no large scale manufacturers that I know of.........

Perhaps some of the overseas folks can help us out on this thread.

rfwjr

Newly Enlightened
Alot of people really like the Fenix lights and they are made in China.

Oops missed Fenix tucked in the above post.

Last edited:

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes there are some nice custom 'boutique' lights from Japan (Katokichi, SilverLegacy, ROF, etc) but none from the big manufacturers. They must be losing their edge :sigh:

BTW, another vote for UK Orb.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila lights are very nicely made in China as are Wolf-Eyes.

Some Streamlights are now imported.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Vital Gear is another overseas brand - not sure where they are made - Hong Kong? Taiwan?

Cateye (Japan)

One interesting thing - seems premium headlights are more common overseas than premium handheld flashlights (Lupine, Cateye, Petzl) I'm a fan of headlights - if you're doing something that you need good lighting for, you'll probably need both hands too.

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Petzl, based in France, have for many years been making top-quality "Illumination Tools" for use in outdoor pursuits.

It's just that they are headlamps, rather than flashlights, which people often forget about!

A couple of decades ago, the vast majority of mountaineers, climbers etc would be wearing the Petzl Zoom at night - the Petzl Zoom was virtually synonymous with the term "Headlamp".

There's a lot of competition now, from the likes of Black Diamond and Princeton Tec in particular. But Petzl are still very much holding their own.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
....I will add Amilite which is made in the Republic of Korea. I am hoping they come out with another light that is as great as their Neo T3.
jc

CLHC

Flashaholic
What about those EternaLights? Where are they manufactured?

There's also Vortex Vision (sold in 45 countries around the world), which is USA & Canada based company but the products are made overseas.