Which SF L1 do you prefer

chuck4570

Enlightened
I just received my second SF L1, and was glad to see that it was the newer version, so I could compare the two. After using the both of them for a couple of nights, I found out that I prefer the older version over the newer one. I like the smaller softer spot, and the good amount of spill you get with the older SF L1, the newer one is just a little to laser like for me. My wife didn't mind the newer one, so it has now become her purse light.

Chuck

Max Brightness

Enlightened
chuck4570,

I only have the new L1 and you are right that it does not have much spill. I like it at a distance since it has pretty good throw. Most of the time I use the SF beam shaper for better useability at short range.

MB

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, if you want spill then beamshaper for flood is common use, or have it moddified to use reflector.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
I've got the new L1 and its my EDC for on the job.
It's tight beam is great for looking into small or
confined spaces. I also use the low beam to
illuminate and inspect glass bottles of hazardous
materials. The beamshaper is a great additional
accessory and gives a nice soft flood. Great little
light.

cy

Flashaholic
old version w/so 17 is one of my favorite lights.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I got one of the old style green LED ones from Botach for $79.00 and am really liking it.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
I just bought a KL1 for my wifes E1....I put that puppy on and was surprised at how tight the beam was, I was expecting way more flood. At first I didn't care much for it, but now I (I mean she) really likes it.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SO17X is a reflector made by IMS that drops in where that stock optic did on the old L1. The Mc18R is a McGizmo product (a 18mm diameter reflector made to retro fit any light using the NX 05 optic, which is stock on the older style L1s)