Power outage

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a LED light with a long runtime for power outages. I would like it to ba a lantern\candle type, something that stands up, and uses AA or any easy to find battery.

watt4

Enlightened
welcome to cpf.

I managed to get a d-cell lantern before they were discontinued. there are a couple AA -cell lanterns out there; someone will suggest one or two.

energizer-lantern2.jpg

zulu45

Enlightened
A lot of people suggest the River Rock 4xAA Lantern, which is available at Target, for only $20. I, myself, have not bought one of these, because I'm unsure if it's more light than a candle (anybody reading, I could really use an answer on that). If not that, you could always get a 2xAA MiniMag, with a LED conversion, and use it in "candle mode". I'll probably pick up the RR Lantern the next time I go to Target, though, so hopefully it'll be good, or at least, better than a candle. At the moment, for power outages, I use a combination of my Inova X1, my River Rock 2xAAA, and my Streamlight Twin-Task 1-L. I keep my Inova X5T as a last resort, though it's my favorite of the lights I own. No point in using my lithiums up, though, if my AAs and AAAs will suffice.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Exactly what Zulu45 mentioned regarding the River Rock Design 1.5W LED Lantern. That is a great little lantern that runs on 4 AAs. I have two of them, and they are bright!

There's also the Osram Golden Dragons which are incredible to. I think I read that they are now available from Lighthound.Com. You may also want to invest in a Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon LED light.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I already have the PP Lux, it is a great light, actually I just gave it to my dad so I can get the black one. Also, I dont have a Target near me and they dont have the lantern on the website, can I get it anywhere else.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to buy a Peak Pacific AAA and load it with a lithium AAA for 5 hours of light. Specifically, it will be used on a lanyard for showering etc. Soon, the AA body will be available for 6 hours on an alkaline before it starts to slowly dim for the next day or two. It will also run 13 hours of regulated light on one lithium AA cell and stands on end.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Here's another recommendation for the RR Lantern sold at Target. It uses 4AA batteries, runs great with NiMh cells, provides about 8 hours of very bright light. It will easily light up a 10x10 tent with plenty of usable light. The light does have a slight bluish tint to it, but not enough to be irritating.

The RR lantern won't light up a campsite like a 2 mantle Coleman lantern, but it can be safely used inside an enclosed area.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two lights I would not like to be without any more in a power outage. The first is Sportsmans Guide 30 LED 4 D lantern, it is so nice for lighting a room with family in a power outage, I have used it for 3 or 4 outages now, several for over 12 hours, one for 3 days and the batteries still are working great. The second is a nice headlamp, I like the Brinkman 2 white and one red LED model. A headlamp is just too handy for performing all those chores around the house that take both hands. From the mundane like washign dishes, to filling a generator with gas.

Those two are indespensible to me, buy something like those first and then go for flashlights.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Oh! Here's another interesting and well regarded light with looong runtimes. The EternaLights! And I've seen them from Glowbug.Com. They may not be "easy on the eyes," (appearance wise) but many members here "swear" by these EternaLights.

wmirag

Enlightened
ADDICTED2LITE said:
I'm looking for a LED light with a long runtime for power outages. I would like it to ba a lantern\candle type, something that stands up, and uses AA or any easy to find battery.

I think you should take a look at the Energizer FL450. It is a 4xD. It runs one or two flourescents for 40 and 20 hours respectively (mfrs claim) and it runs a small amber LED "nightlight" for a long. long time. It is durable, adustable in direction, bright, has a nice handle, is easy to look at (unlike the excellent but point-source River Rock), and it's only $13. I have the River Rock and the Energizer and, by far, the Energizer is the more useful.

Cons: it's the size of a cigar box and it weighs a few pounds loaded with batteries.

http://designawards.com.au/ADA/04-05/Consumer/197/197.htm

W.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I have two LED lanterns that I like a lot. The first one I bought is the same one that Lee1959 mentioned. The Sportsmans Guide 30 LED. It has two settings, low, which turns on only 15 of the LEDs and Hi. It is advertised to run 14 days continuous on low. Yes, days.

The second one is the River Rock with the 1.5watt Nichia Jupiter LED. Advertised to run 8 hours on 4 AA batteries.

The Sportsmans Guide lantern puts out a lot more light than the River Rock, even on low. But it is also much larger, about 2/3 the size of a regular Coleman. It comes with a hard plastic carrying case.

It also costs more ($39.95) than the RR 1.5 watt. More than twice as much after shipping charges are added. Sportsmans Guide is also now selling a metal chrome type lantern with a variable rheostat type switch that I would love to have, but it costs even more than the original plastic model. Runs on 4 D cells also.