New 80%+ Petzl TacTikka Plus |||update|||

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to update the fans of the "TacTikka Plus" about the new updated version which I've had for 3 or 4 weeks now.

As you may know, what makes the TacTikka Plus standout is the flip-down red lens. It can be used when you dont want to affect your night vision. It can also be used as a red safety strobe. Place it backwards when cycling or walking etc.

I have also been using it as an excellent reading light. The low level is great for reading but even better is the low level with the red lense. It is just right for a quiet night of reading in bed and it doesn't disturb the person sleeping next to you. Very nice. It sure adds a lot to the mood when reading a mystery novel or scifi. The one problem is that it will flicker on low as the batteries wear down. This is really distracting and I would have returned the light with much dissapointment but I was able to use the light on medium without flickering. So the battery life is shorter on medium and it is a bit brighter than you need but it still doesn't disturb my sleeping wife. :)

Runtime tests so far have been inconclusive but much shorter to 50% than the advertised runtimes that are measured to a quarter lumen or some other really low level.

Also another slight improvement is the tint. It is less blue, not snow white but not aweful blue either.

When comparing this light to the Princeton Tec Quad, I would say the Quad crushes the TacTikka Plus in all areas except the lack of flip-down red lense. I might give a slight edge to Petzl for comfort too.

Petzl should go back and eliminate the flicker on low, add regulation, and improve the tint. Dropping the output a bit on the low level would be an improvement IMHO.

Princeton Tec has passed Petzl with the Quad in everything including price. Petzl should definately improve or lower the price of this inferior headlamp if they want to have a properly working, competing product.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello CroMAGnet!

Interesting write-up here on said Petzl TacTikka+. My opinion regarding these two companies you stated (Princeton Tech & Petzl) is that I agree that Princeton Tech produces better headlamps than said competitor. Then again that's just my thoughts on the matter and only in regards to these two companies.

Enjoy! :wave:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome write up! The biggest issue with my headlamps have been the low setting... the quad could REALLY benifit from having a LOT lower setting... since it floods so nice it COULD give off a very beautiful very dim reading light... but a last.. :)

I was looking hard @ the petzl tactikka plus 80% brighter... but when it comes to price, lack of regulation, not as water proof as the PT... its hard to justify...

I was shuvling snow off of my truck @ midnight when I was getting ready to go to work and the quad was SO much better than the EOS w/ 17mm reflector... the quad on high was giving me so much in my side vision... the quad kicks booty ;) just hope they improve it with one more lower setting ;)

See my Quad review here if you haven't seen it:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/108357

Jared