second u2 ultra having problems too.

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
anbody else having this problem i just sent my first u2 in for repairs spent 50 to get it there extra quick and they decided the old one wasn't worth fixing, so they sent me another one. now im on my third set of batteries "brand new" and in less than five "5" minutes the like starts to flicker really fast as if the batteries are going dead and then drops down to the lowest level... my first one only did that after about a week of good use now i turn in on and it won't last more than five minutes please don't tell me im going to have to send this back in again i just recieved it back on the 29th
---------------------------
updating this with a lil more information

brand new batteries start out at 3.24v each

after five minutes of use drops down to 2.91v each

?any ideas?

Last edited:

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
MEASURE BATTERY VOLTS, ensure good ground , mine did that the other day a i thought "oh hell not me to" the new batteries i put in were defective, fresh set , good to go , make sure the contact points on the tail cap are not flattened, thats all i can offer.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you absolutely certain the "new" batteries are also good ones? Sounds like you need to test them in some reliable way to be sure the cells aren't the problem. And a battery cell voltage reading without a significant load is not very useful.

Delvance

Enlightened
I don't have a U2 but
Sorry to hear that, that really stinks :(
Perhaps get SF to cover all shipping costs (i seem to remember reading that somewhere) and let them know this is your 2nd faulty U2 =/

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
oh i forgot check the + spring on the head ( where + batt nipple makes contact) see that that hasent got so smahed its not making good contact , and tail cap good and tight

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I will not buy a U2 until I know that they have gotten all the bugs out of them. There is no excuse for a light that has been out this long to have so many problems. I hope it is nothing more serious than a bad batch of batteries or something that you can fix with the help of some CPF'ers out there with some U2 expertice. Good luck!

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
And a battery cell voltage reading without a significant load is not very useful.

how do i go about gettin a load on the batteries and still be able to test them?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really sad. I think that maybe we here at CPF maybe need to write Surefire a collective letter in a POLITE manner kindly asking them to adequatley explain the situation with the U2. Theres' just no excuse for this.....

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not agree more...

I really want a Surefire U2,but i am holding back until all issues are adressed.

Sure i could send it back for repair or whatever,but living in Norway that will cost way to much to do each time it goes out.

I thought Surefire were all about quality....

Shame on you Surefire!

You are messing up your rep..

Rant off!

I really want a flawless U2 :D

Do they exist?

Benny

Tremendo

Enlightened
Really sounds like a battery problem to me. Try the batteries in any CR123 Incan light, preferably, and see if they work OK. You could have gotten a bad batch of batteries. 2 U2's having the same problem doesn't sound right, especially when it's not a popular problem. My U2 is great, my favorite all purpose light. Yeah, I'd like no donut, but overall, it does what it's supposed to.

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
thanks tenmmike,

tremendo thats what i was kind of thinking too at this current time i decided to go out and buy brand new batteries from walmart energizer lithium 123's to do this test again with another brand than surefires batteries uh oh just as i typed that right there the flash light started to flicker again and boom wen't right down to lowest level "less than 1 minute" i'm almost positive it the flashlights problem, as soon as the head starts to get a lil warm is when it has the problem? is it too much to ask when you buy a 280+$ flashlight than you should be able to use it for atleast a month, if i have to keep sending this back in i will have spent as much on a brand new u2 or starting to prefer the gladius "haven't heard much complain about them let alone the golston supposed 7w going out or having as many probs as what im experiancing surefire customer serivice is nice but if i have to keep sending them there flashlights back this is going to become very very costly

Tremendo

Enlightened
You could just be very very unlucky. My U2 has been fine, I actually bought 2, one for a friend. His is fine as well, a little greener than mine, but still a great light.

For that $ it should be close to problem free, at least most of the time. Their customer service does seem great though, willing to take them in for bad tints, etc. I'm sure the U2 has been a learning experience for them, but as I mentioned, for me, it's my favorite light.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
MorpheusT1 said:
I really want a flawless U2 :D

Do they exist?

Benny

I have one that's pretty close to perfect and I'm in Norway ;)
Ain't selling though...

I'm wondering how common these problems with the U2 are. Some of the tint/donut problems would often not be noticed by an average customer, but clickies that fail and full out failure like this must cost Surefire a lot in form of bad PR, replacement lights, people to handle the replacement procedure and shipping of the new lights.

When it works it is a magnificient light, but SF seems to have serious issues with producing them without flaws.

Sverre

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sverre,

Since i dont have a U2 Yet,i might have been a bit harsh.
But all the problems i am reading about is keeping me from buying one.
The donut is a non issue for me..in real use it wont show.

Wallhunting is another thing ;)

What really bothers me is the flickering when switching levels.,Clicky errors..are there more known issues?

I will probably end up buying one,but for now i am holding back.

Benny

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I too have put off buying a U2 for fear of having problems. This doesn't bode well with the introduction of the Kroma's not too far off and their additional complexity!

I have written before about the damage a bad product can do to a company's reputation and IMHO the U2 is beginning to sound like it isn't doing Surefire any favours.

Surefire has excellent CS but it doesn't matter a damn if they have the best CS in the world if the product has tarnished the reputation for reliability which Surefire has always prided itself in?

Before one of the admins jumps in to Surefire's defence I'm not Surefire bashing but I am genuinely concerned that the whole ethos of producing reliable lights to be used in life & death situations which Surefire has always prided itself for producing is obviously at risk by a product which is getting so many problems?

If the U2 was a cheap light then this wouldn't be a problem but it isn't and if Uncle Sam is going to go with Darpa type lights for the military then lets hope that SF can make a better job of it than the U2?

Doug

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
This is really sad. I think that maybe we here at CPF maybe need to write Surefire a collective letter in a POLITE manner kindly asking them to adequatley explain the situation with the U2. Theres' just no excuse for this.....

I would sign on for this. On top of the problems, when I sent mine back in, the turn around has been agonizing. I am beginning to feel as is Surefire is taking the sold lights for granted. I was told 3 weeks (which I believe is excessive) and it has now been approximately 6 weeks.

When I call in, I do not get any explanations and I just have to wait. A lifetime warranty is great if you can get the product back after you send it in.

I had my U2 for about 2 to 3 weeks and have been without it for longer than I possessed it. For $280.00, I would expect much better service than this.

-Goatee

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
looks like I will have to call surefire again on monday, I wish there was a way i could trade my u2 for the l6 with them i dont think ive heard any complaints about that one. oh well this time it will prob be 6 weeks before i get it back cause i just can't afford to speed ship it to them again.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightmeup81 said:
looks like I will have to call surefire again on monday, I wish there was a way i could trade my u2 for the l6 with them i dont think ive heard any complaints about that one. oh well this time it will prob be 6 weeks before i get it back cause i just can't afford to speed ship it to them again.

I was really hoping for your sake that it was just a battery problem but it now sounds like it is an electronics malfunction. I would call SF and demand they pick-up the return shipping costs. Also tell them there are alot of future sales riding on how they handle this unfortunate situation. I , along with plenty of others will be watching for how this turns out. Good luck to you!!