Doing some security work. What's the brightest LED upgrade for a 2AA Minimag?

InfidelCastro

Banned
I was looking at the MadMax over on Flashlight Reviews.com and noticed it has fairly impressive throw and lux.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/bb_mm.htm

But then I noticed the review date of 2003.. I was wondering if something brighter and possibly regulated has come along recently?

Is there any drop-in that works great with NimH rechargables?

This will be used to security work in some very large buildings. I was thinking of going with a Fenix L2P, but maybe there's something better I can put into a Minimag host? I hope so!!

Any input is appreciated.

Also, what tailswitch mods do you guys use? I was using my River Rock 2AAA .5W the other day. The 'tactical' momentary switch in the back was very useful. I would like something with more output though.

Last edited:

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Nexgen 750 TWOJ from samatch shop. Pretty damn bright.. puts up a good fight against a SF 6P and very white. But, at over $50... you might be better off with something like a ProPoly

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd say go for the L2p if you want a 2aa LED minimag-like light. If you want the brightest possible minimag upgrade, forget LED's and get that mod that uses two 14500 lithium ion rechargeables, a metal reflector and a Streamlight TL3 bulb. I wouldn't bother with expensive Minimag LED mods any more. They were great back in their day but had necessary shortcomings due to the Minimag host, and there's ready-made lights now that cost less and work better. The L2p might have a teensy bit less lumen output than the brightest LuxV minimag mod but it's fully regulated, handles the heat easily, etc.

changsn

Newly Enlightened
Check out the TerraLux MiniStar2 drop in. It's about the same as the BadBoy but is on sale for 21.95 during April.
Sam

InfidelCastro

Banned
The Badboy appears to be lacking in the throw department, from what I see on Flashlight reviews.

I guess I should explain that I'm not looking for the absolute brightest thing out there if it's got a really short runtime or doesn't like rechargeables.

The L2P has around 800 lux and 1900 total output according to the review.

The 4 hour regulated runtime is nice. Is there something similiar for a Minimag host? Or perhaps even brighter with a shorter runtime.

I could go as low as 2-2.5 hour runtime on 2AA 2500mAh rechargeables as long as it's brighter and throws better than the Fenix.

InfidelCastro

Banned
You know, I almost forgot that Maglite is coming out with the LED Minimags in June. I really should wait. Probably won't see any of them or any reviews until at least July. Argghh!!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you just consider a flashlight that take RCR123 batteries, and take a plunge and buy RCR batteries and a charger? You have more options of flashlights especially doing security work that requires you to rely on a good flashlight. It's worth it to me!!!!!!!

InfidelCastro

Banned
FlashKat said:
Why don't you just consider a flashlight that take RCR123 batteries, and take a plunge and buy RCR batteries and a charger? You have more options of flashlights especially doing security work that requires you to rely on a good flashlight. It's worth it to me!!!!!!!

Not interested in those right now. For my situation I need a good throwing Lux LED will good flood too and a decent runtime on rechargeables. I already have the rechargeable AA's and the recharger and I like the Minimag and am interested in the L2P, so that's what I'm looking at now.

I don't really have extra money to take any plunges right now with different kinds of chargers and batteries and stuff and I don't really like rechargeable 123's anyways.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was just a suggestion, since I went through my trial and errors trying to save money just to find out I still bought/buy flashlight that use 123 batteries.
I wish you the best of luck.
InfidelCastro said:
Not interested in those right now. For my situation I need a good throwing Lux LED will good flood too and a decent runtime on rechargeables. I already have the rechargeable AA's and the recharger and I like the Minimag and am interested in the L2P, so that's what I'm looking at now.

I don't really have extra money to take any plunges right now with different kinds of chargers and batteries and stuff and I don't really like rechargeable 123's anyways.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I might just end up 'roughing it' with my River Rock 2AAA and some lithium batteries until the LED Minimags come out. As cool as the L2P is, I really don't wanna buy another China light.

I don't know.. it's probably worth it though. Seems to be decent quality.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
The Badboy appears to be lacking in the throw department, from what I see on Flashlight reviews.

The review you read is old and doesn't reflect current production of the Sandwiches. The one in the review had a low dome Lux and used an optic, hence not such good throw. A sandwich with a current production high dome Lux and a good reflector will throw very well.

There's a great runtime vs. brightness chart on this page...http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44138

InfidelCastro

Banned
nikon said:
The review you read is old and doesn't reflect current production of the Sandwiches. The one in the review had a low dome Lux and used an optic, hence not such good throw. A sandwich with a current production high dome Lux and a good reflector will throw very well.

There's a great runtime vs. brightness chart on this page...http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44138

Hmm, ok thanks. What sandwich would you use if you wanted at least an hour of runtime, but lots of light and throw?

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
One question: is there some reason you're stuck with the MM? For security work there are better lights available. FWIW I'd consider a TL-3 incan the minimum for brightness and size, and probably would go with a full-size M*g mod rather than something smaller, assuming there aren't regs against it and you can handle the weight.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Just wondering why you are only thinking of LEDs? LEDs are good for close up work but don't have the throw of incans as I'm sure you know. I work security at night and I have a RR 1.5w 2XAA, inova X5white/X5 blue/X1, RR 2XAAA for close up work but they don't do much in large unlit areas. A 3-5 watt LED would probably do ok but alot of those run on 123 batteries. I'd personally suggest an LED or two or three for close up work (X5 works good to light up small areas/rooms) but for large dark open areas and long dark hallways, I use my surefire G2 and M3. A streamlight 4XAA 1 watt luxeon is a good LED with good throw (for an LED) and I think you can use rechargable AA batteries if you want to stick with an LED.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i believe it is better to get a l2p. why?

first, the l2p is more water resistant then the mag(the l2p is say to be water proof)

second, the regulation of l2p is perfect! 1 straight line and drops all the way down when battery runs out.

third, it can use rechargables!

it also comes with some other accessories.

it comes with anti reflective coating on the window of the light,

it has HAIII coating on it.

and now, it is at $38.95 at the http://fenix-store.com/index.php with free shipping!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello InfidelCastro:)

Perhaps take a look to the Millermods L2P with a 3 Watt Luxeon.
Must be an amazing Light.

Best regards

____
Tom

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon? Runs on 4AAs' - lithiums work great - has an absolutely AWESOME hotspot for killer throw. And its dirt cheap - $23 at foxintl.com

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
I have a Fenix L2P and it hands down beats my modded mini mag. Better throw, better flood and way brighter! You would have to spend a lot more to equal its performance.