C.S.I. flashlight, what kind of model?

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Hello, watching on TV the C.S.I. serial i always look what kind of the flashlight use the C.S.I. squad, someone could replay to my curiosity? Thanks a lot. Giovanni

carrot

Flashaholic
Which episode? ;)

The first season used the Surefire 6P almost exclusively, I believe. I was at first thrown off by the bluish light coming from it, but I am dead certain it is a Surefire 6P, perhaps with an LED module.

The second season must have been sponsored by Streamlight, because they pretty much only used the Streamlight Scorpion (or was it Stinger?) and the Streamlight Ultrastinger.

In the third season and on, the Ultrastinger was replaced with the Surefire M4 Devastator, which sees a lot of use. It's the long flashlight, appearing about a foot long with a turbohead.

I've also seen what appears to be a blue Underwater Kinetics 4AA (eLED?) and the ever-popular Maxabeam, although only in a few episodes.

I haven't watched much of the spinoff Miami or New York, so I'd have to get back to you on those... sometime. I do know Horatio of Miami uses an A2, however.

TENNlumens

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Which episode? ;)
In the third season and on, the Ultrastinger was replaced with the Surefire M4 Devastator, which sees a lot of use. It's the long flashlight, appearing about a foot long with a turbohead.

I think they tone-down the output.

carrot

Flashaholic
TENNlumens said:
Definitely. Many times the light seems yellowish, or in the very least, about as bright as my Surefire G2. It stymies me when one of the CSI read something or examine an object up close using the M4.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only seen the original C.S.I. Las Vegas episodes. In those they used a variety -- Grissom initially used a Streamlight Scorpion incandescent. In later episodes they all use a Surefire M4.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
TENNlumens said:
Not really...or, better, not intentionally. Film is not very sensitive. You need a lot of light to expose film properly. That's why there's film studios, which have all those stage lights handy. The flashlights need to compete with the stage lights; that's why they use Surefires and Streamlights. They can be used without mods and still show up nicely on film. Newer film stock, as used on CSI, is also more sensitive. Before 1990 or so they basically could not use a stock battery operated light (except when they wanted to show only the flashlight-light). For instance, the lights used on "Star Trek: TNG" (the show started in 1987)are not battery operated; they used a cable hidden inside the costume to power the lights.

Also, color film is adjusted to depict light from incans as white. That's why they mostly use incans; white LEDs show up too blue.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak said:
Not really...or, better, not intentionally. Film is not very sensitive. You need a lot of light to expose film properly. That's why there's film studios, which have all those stage lights handy. The flashlights need to compete with the stage lights; that's why they use Surefires and Streamlights. They can be used without mods and still show up nicely on film. Newer film stock, as used on CSI, is also more sensitive. Before 1990 or so they basically could not use a stock battery operated light (except when they wanted to show only the flashlight-light). For instance, the lights used on "Star Trek: TNG" (the show started in 1987)are not battery operated; they used a cable hidden inside the costume to power the lights.

Also, color film is adjusted to depict light from incans as white. That's why they mostly use incans; white LEDs show up too blue.

Pretty on. couple of things: the way film stock is used is much like regular film, it will have a specific use, as far as exposure, ap setting of the camera for the intended scene, and it's particular artistic Image the director is going for.But the biggest advancement is stock that is"wider" in it's exposure range.(for example new high speeds like kodak #5384 don't need the kind of light for dim light scene's that older stock did, and can be used for near dark to med light use) so a stock is not "created" for such a minor/specific reason as to render color film for flashlight's, it's already done for incan studio lighting, and can be further rendered with filtering, ex, apt settings.

Also it's getting harder for non film maker's/fans to see the difference in hi definition, and film on today's TV screen's.

stock has changed a lot since i was a film major. me and a coupla friends got to sync the first few minute's of ET at uni, and on a desk that was a job. It appear's so dark all you see is flashlight's, and really had to listen for the 3 code on the ST. thing's have improved. VDG

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen M4s... but I don't know which season it is screening here on local tv... I don't follow the one on cable which is supposed to be the latest.