How to get a light back.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I noticed a rather large odd shaped light on top of the cabinet holding some of my friends ssound gear.
I picked it up, turned it on and saw it was a cheap incan "cinderella" light. Blue and pink and frilly. Since I know he uses LED's a lot I asked what he had that for.
He said it was his loaner light and he *always* got it back.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I bought a roll of hot pink electrical tape for the same reason; nobody would steal it from my tool kit, and if I had to loan it to someone, I always got it back! :)

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a mechanic knives were more likely to be "loaned out" so I had a cheap (and I do mean cheap) chinese lockback I would "loan" them and it always came back also, there was no way I would loan out any of my kershaws to someone that didn't have the common sense to have a knive at all times. Flashlights?? They required a cash or other valuables deposit to "borrow" one. At my place of employment flashlights were a required tool list item, the nice thing was due to the requirement on flashlights the employer was required to provide batteries for anybodies flashlights and other battery powered tools like VOMs if they wanted us to actually use those items.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for loaners, I make sure they are ones I could live without if they weren't returned. I have a box of them in the closet. Mostly cheapies or ones I've lost interest in.
One way to get a light back is to write down on a note card what light was lent out and who borrowed it, and keep the card on the fridge.
Also put your name and phone number/address on a piece of paper and wrap it around the batteries, so if the person forgets to give it back, they will remember who it belongs to when they go to change the batteries.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big_Ed said:
As for loaners, I make sure they are ones I could live without if they weren't returned. I have a box of them in the closet. Mostly cheapies or ones I've lost interest in.
One way to get a light back is to write down on a note card what light was lent out and who borrowed it, and keep the card on the fridge.
Also put your name and phone number/address on a piece of paper and wrap it around the batteries, so if the person forgets to give it back, they will remember who it belongs to when they go to change the batteries.

Good advice but not nearly the fun of handing over a cinderella light

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing what Big Ed does for all my good lights. I printed a sheet with numerous:
Please call Jay @
(xxx) xxx-xxxx
Thank you

It's small enough to insert into the battery tubes. My hope is if my light is found and then used, that when the finder discovers the weird battery or knows the cost of a CR123 cell they will become honest and call me. I DID thank them, you know :) It's a long shot and more probable they'd just chuck it once it died, not knowing or caring they had a nice light in their possession

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats hilarious mike :D very good idea!

My daughters cinderella light is sitting right next to her now. She's got one that converts from a single LED flashlight to a little lantern by pulling out the bezel. She loves it and would probably rather loan out one of my boring metal ones...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Sburr23

Newly Enlightened
I know a firearms instructor that brings tactical light to his courses. He lets the students try his lights out. Most tactical or I should say tacticool lights are black or OD green. This instructor says he always gets is yellow Surefire G2 back, so he says that Surefire makes the G2 in Tactical Black, OD Green, Coyote Brown and Come Home Yellow.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL nice loaner light! My 5 yo son happened to be around when I saw the Cookie Moster light and he wants one! Are you sure they are at target? Toy dept. or flashlight aisle?

I saw another loaner light at WM, it's a blue hippo that opens its mouth to reveal a 2C PR light.

AlexGT

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the Elmo at Walmart and lent it to the daughter but I have never been able to get it back. I guess I need to be more careful who I loan my lights to.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually kind of nice since it stands up by itself, protects the lens with an automatic lens cover, has a pistol grip and an auto-shutoff in case the user forgets.
And it's specially designed to withstand abuse by children under 5, which even Pelican's warranty specifically excludes.

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
Hornet said:
I picked up the Elmo at Walmart and lent it to the daughter but I have never been able to get it back. I guess I need to be more careful who I loan my lights to.

Good advice but too late for me.
jpshakehead.gif

My son will not be parted from the Elektrolumens Anglelux that he recently took to cub scout camp. At least he has good taste
rolleye11.gif

Cheers,
Simon

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I just acquired a new "loaner" light. When you push the switch forward, it gives you a mild electric shock. :drool::naughty: It has one functional but dim LED, which is turned on by a separate button. The head is designed to look like a cluster of eight or nine. Now I just need someone to ask to borrow one of my lights.