Looking back on 20 years

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You ever have those moments when you realize something "new" is actually really old? Exactly two decades ago today I joined CPF. Even though I was a gadget guy I'd never really thought much about flashlight tech, so this seemed like the place to learn. Pretty quickly a Streamlight Scorpion replaced my Mini-Mag and Futon anglehead. Then I discovered Surefires, LEDs, and everything else this place is about. I have this crowd to thank for a Surefire U2 being my EDC for a solid 13 years and then going hipster with HDS.

Oh yeah, around the time I was getting into new flashlights I wanted to learn about the past. In between "old" and "new" there was a whole industry that had very little accessible information back then. That's how I became fascinated by the early history of police flashlights. Didn't take long until my curiosity turned into a collection and a major hobby. Even now I'm still interested and learning. Gonna try and graduate from nerd to historian someday.

I'm thankful for being able to participate in this community for so long and having gotten to know all the folks here. And kinda glad end-stage flashaholism doesn't lead to organ failure or painful rashes like other vices.

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Yes, I too started EDCing about 22 or 23 years ago, shortly after I read the 911 report. Coincidentally I also had a flat tyre about that time when there was no light about. A kind motorist shone his headlights on my car whilst I changed the wheel. CPF has indeed been a great place to gather and learn.

hamhanded

Enlightened
I came back once I had enough money to do things like drop $200 on a flashlight and bulk purchase batteries instead of rationing my single box of 123s for my 6P like they were the last ones in the world

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in 2004 I had already trashed the last of my Energizer Double barrels in a pool accident by then.

I knew of Surefire from Gun magazines such as Guns & Ammo that I used to buy at 7-11 or Marathon.

I had read about a Streamlight Batonlite on Geocities on dial up.

I had been beamed in the eyes with a Surefire at my friend's surprise birthday party by his dad who once let me shoot an HK USP at the range with my own ammo.

My coindealer had a SF box for a old 6P most likely but no light, he had lost it.

You could buy Maglite Magnum Star 7D bulbs at a gun shop called Surefire but they didn't have Maglites or Surefires for sale there only Fulton angleheads new or used.

I think cost and availability factored in my limited light purchases. Maglite was a quality light that I could afford batteries and bulbs for and were widely available.

I was more into rap cds, guns, coins, and stamp collecting than lights.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
You ever have those moments when you realize something "new" is actually really old? Exactly two decades ago today I joined CPF. Even though I was a gadget guy I'd never really thought much about flashlight tech, so this seemed like the place to learn. Pretty quickly a Streamlight Scorpion replaced my Mini-Mag and Futon anglehead. Then I discovered Surefires, LEDs, and everything else this place is about. I have this crowd to thank for a Surefire U2 being my EDC for a solid 13 years and then going hipster with HDS.

Oh yeah, around the time I was getting into new flashlights I wanted to learn about the past. In between "old" and "new" there was a whole industry that had very little accessible information back then. That's how I became fascinated by the early history of police flashlights. Didn't take long until my curiosity turned into a collection and a major hobby. Even now I'm still interested and learning. Gonna try and graduate from nerd to historian someday.

I'm thankful for being able to participate in this community for so long and having gotten to know all the folks here. And kinda glad end-stage flashaholism doesn't lead to organ failure or painful rashes like other vices.
so my rash is not due to flashlights?!?

LOLz

Great Topic, Glad you are here!!!

Jim

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
I will hit 20 years in September and it will also be 30 years since I started spending too much on Surefire flashlights.

flashlite

Enlightened
I'll be 20 years in May but I was a lurker long before that. The CMG Infinity Ultra is what started it all for me. CMG was subsequently purchased by Gerber, which I believe is how Gerber first got into flashlights. I don't believe they even sell flashlights anymore but they're still some of my favorites.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would see Gerber flashlights in the gun shops in maybe 2005 or so but never bothered with them because they were chinese and priced more than a Mag. One of my neighbours gets along with his though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Where did all the time go? It sucks getting older, but it's way better than the alternative.
I wouldn't mind aging backwards. Imagine have the reflexes, stamina, and body of a 20 year-old; with the accumulated knowledge of a 90 year-old. Then again, likely just spend all your free time online as everyone your age NOW, would be an immature idiot.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't mind aging backwards. Imagine have the reflexes, stamina, and body of a 20 year-old; with the accumulated knowledge of a 90 year-old. Then again, likely just spend all your free time online as everyone your age NOW, would be an immature idiot.
Seriously. I'm waiting to see an orthopedist as we speak, due to injuries from over 30 years ago.