UltraFire - worth buying ??

Charlie Brown

Newly Enlightened
Hi there

I've got a SF 6P using a P61 bulb with standard CR123 cells. (looking to buy a P90 or G90 HP & running using 2 unprotected 3.6v R123)

I've been thinking about buying an Ultrafire 3 cell with a G120 high pressure bulb & use standard CR123's. Run time is listed at around 70 mins.. ?

Anyone used an Ultrafire - any good ?? Whats the G120 high pressure xenon unit be much visibly brighter than the G90 HP ?

Timson

Enlightened
I have a 3 cell Ultrafire with G90HP.

They're definately not Surefire quality, but the performance is fantastic for the price. Don't know how durable the tail switch will prove to be...Time will tell.
You're not gonna worry about getting it dinged up - and if you lost it, then it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I use mine on duty as I'm paranoid of something horrible happening to my more expensive lights. (Sad)

Can't comment on the G120 running off 3 primary cells. Would have thought that it would be under-driven and therefore underwhelming.
However - mine 'instaflashed' on 4 cells.

I've read that when driven properly they (G120) put out a similar amount of light to a P91 but with a tighter and slightly whiter beam.

There are rumours of a G140 (14V) lamp in existance....Dunno where you can get one. This would be awesome off 3 x CR123 Li-Ions.

You'll be very pleased with a 6P and G90HP & Un-protected Li-Ions.

Tim.

Charlie Brown

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Timson

I'm gonna wait for the digilight 9V HP to come back in stock & run it with 2 unprotected recharge cells 800mAH.

I'm interested in the Ultrafire G90 or G120 as I don't want to damage or break the 6P whilst on duty. It already come off my duty belt once (due to cheap holster with popper). Only trouble is I want free lumens & the UF comes in a 3 cell body - three 3.6V will probably instaflash the 9V or 12V bulb.....:mad:

Charlie

Rob M

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2XCR123A '3W' that I bought from a chap called IOAK via Ebay, and I really like it, it's regulated, very bright, nice tight spot and far better throw than I'm used to (I don't own any truly high-end flashlights though so if you do you might not be so impressed). IOAK is a great guy to deal with, he's helpful and knows his products and is happy to supply spare parts.

I was so impressed that I bought one each for my brother and brother-in-law as presents, I am also buying the 1XCR123A 'mini' variant of this light too.

The only thing that I was not massively happy with is the LED was not fixed to the heatsink in any way, I don't know of this will be an issue for the light long term. I fixed it to the heatsink with thermal epoxy, then applied Arctic Silver to the body of the reflector/heatsink so that it would contact the outer body of the unit when rit was reassembled. The heat flow to the body of the unit is good now, I hope it extends the life of the torch. When the torch has been on ten minutes or so, you can feel the head heat up now!

I am not a flashlight or torch expert and don't know much about electronics (I can solder well and build circuits to someone else's design but can't design my own) but I am really impressed and happy with my Ultrafire... I would like a Surefire or similar but they are so expensive in the UK that I just can't afford one!

tron3

Banned
I have the 4 cell Ultrafire. It has a 12v compressed Xenon Bulb. The light is still yellowish, but I get about 200+ lumens of light compared to any 120 lumen light I own.

Mind you, extended use can lead them to get sizzling HOT. Some may recall the story how I had one on in a plastic bag sitting on papers. Must have bumped the switch and left it on. It melted a hole in the plastic and was too hot to handle when I got home some 40 minutes later. Batteries were nearly completely dead. But the throw on that thing is awesome.

pbs357

Enlightened
Ultrafire is definitely good for cheap, bright light. My G120, 4x123 light is BRIGHT, but will certainly heat up if you let her run long enough...

BUT - I tried to put my "new" Wolf-Eyes D26 9v lamp (short dash) in it, as I was planning to power it with 2x17670's but the lamp won't fit :scowl: . I don't know if the Digilight or G&P HPG90 will fit.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I have two of these lights. Mine are a two cell Ultrafire and a three cell Superfire. I got them both on Ebay. The Ultrafires and Superfires are virtually identical and are both sold on Ebay by many of the same dealers. I bought an extra 12 volt lamp assembly with one of these lights. I use the 12 volt lamp assembly in the 3 cell light. The 12 volt lamp assembly says G&P 12V Lamp on it. This light works great with three of AW's unprotected LIR 123 rechargeable cells. I use the 9V lamp which is labled 9V High Pressure Xenon in the 2 cell light with 2 more of AW's unprotected LIR 123 cells. These lights are very bright setup like this but runtime is not too long. I use them for short periods of time and change out the rechargeable cells after approximately 30 minutes of runtime when they are noticeably dimmer than with freshly charged cells. I use the 6 volt lamp assembly that came with the 2 cell light as a spare in my Surefire G2. Superfires and Ultrafires are low cost relatively nice Surefire wannabes.
jc

Timson

Enlightened
Charlie Brown said:
Only trouble is I want free lumens & the UF comes in a 3 cell body - three 3.6V will probably instaflash the 9V or 12V bulb
Charlie

For free lumens in your 3 cell body - you want to run the 9v lamp with 2 x 17500 cells.....Try AW
This is basically the same set up as your 2 cell version...but you'll get longer runtime and the lamp may be a bit brighter as the larger cells will hold their voltage better under load - for longer.

I think the 12v lamp will flash on 3 x 3.6v cells

Tim.