laser blindness

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
What exactly is it you are looking for? Reports of permanant eye damage from laser accidents?

http://jrm.phys.ksu.edu/Safety/DOE_Laser_Safety_Report-Mar-05.pdf
http://www.nat.vu.nl/~laser/SAFETY_eyes.ppt
http://www.rli.com/resources/incident-refs.asp

Extensive documentation of permanant eye damage from laser accidents is available from any academic library and probably from any public library with knowledgable interlibrary loan librarians. See the third source above for a list of possible sources for 1960-1995.

Jim

pb_paulie_b

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Jim. I couldn't get the second link to work? I was looking for a report of permanent laser blindness because I have read lots of warnings but never really seen on tv or heard in the news of someone actually being blinded by a laser. Also I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea, I wont be taking any chances...PB

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
Second link is a powerpoint file (slides). Microsoft has a free powerpoint viewer here, or you can use the OpenOffice presentation tool to open it on a variety of platforms.

If what you're looking for is evidence of total blindness, I'm sure it's out there but it may be hard to come by. Functional blindness can occur with damage to the lens, or damage to the fovea (the high-resolution center of vision). Most permanant laser damage is burns to the retina that, while they reduce the visual field, may not cause full blindness.

Any permanant damage to the retina is bad. If you're lucky, it will be in your peripheral vision somewhere less important, but even then--it may make it difficult to see approaching vehicles while driving or it may be a constant irritation.

Consider that I've used a pot-modded Leadlight, focused through a lens, to burn black electrical tape, and that somewhat higher power Leadlights will burn tape or pop black balloons without any additional lenses. Now, focus that through your eye lens, down to a tiny dot on your retina, and let your eye do its normal slight jittering. What smokes tape will 'smoke' your retina instantly.

Jim

dr_lava

Enlightened
I just scringed at that one story in your link about the student looking directly down the laser tube of an operating class 4 IR laser, cause she/he thought it was off. OUCH!

pb_paulie_b

Newly Enlightened
ks_physicist said:
Second link is a powerpoint file (slides). Microsoft has a free powerpoint viewer here.

Jim
Thanks for the link Jim. I went through the whole slide show. Whoo, I think thats exactly the info I needed to 'scare' me into buying a pair of laser glasses. Thanks alot ...PB

shawndoe

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Actually a sticky full of these nightmare threads might not be a bad idea. Call it 101 reasons to get goggles. To many are spending 500+ on a laser, but are to cheap to spend 50 bucks for a pair of goggles off ebay. Maybe learning the price of such carelessness will convince some of the need.

Have a good one.
Shawndoe