EDC issue with my Gladius

s.duff

Enlightened
i have had the Gladius since it first came out and have been edc'ing at work ever since. here's my "issue," i carry it in the blackhawk pouch that was intended for it, bezel down with the light in lockout mode off to ensure that it doesn't go on when on my belt. several times i've felt a hot light on my hip or when i pulled out the light saw that it was on regardless of having been in lockout. basicly what i'm assuming is happening is when i sit or move around too much the lockout turns and the light is allowed to function on my hip. i have noticed that it doesnt take a whole lot to turn the tailcap out of lockout mode. the first few times i second guessed myself and figured that i forgot to lock it out, but i have been paying closer attention to it and last night it did the same thing. i dont think that this is a flashlight issue, but rather a carry issue, maybe it is a flashlight issue i dont know. has anyone had any similar experience and had a good resolution?

Chris201W

Enlightened
Possibly add another o-ring to the tailcap to make it harder to turn the cap? I know little to nothing about how the gladius works, so I don't know if that would be possible or not, just an idea.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
i try and follow as many gladius threads on various sites as i can , iv not heard of this , where on you is it exactly? iv got my gladius here and if i sort of smack at it with somthing it will pop out of lock if im hitting it it the direction of unlock that leads me to think your in a patrol car and are right handed, and your lite is hitting somthing as you excet you car,( maybe center section bend light used for writing , or maybe your car radio mic is located so that as you rotate out of your seat, it hits it, just my guesses
s.duff said:
i have had the Gladius since it first came out and have been edc'ing at work ever since. here's my "issue," i carry it in the blackhawk pouch that was intended for it, bezel down with the light in lockout mode off to ensure that it doesn't go on when on my belt. several times i've felt a hot light on my hip or when i pulled out the light saw that it was on regardless of having been in lockout. basicly what i'm assuming is happening is when i sit or move around too much the lockout turns and the light is allowed to function on my hip. i have noticed that it doesnt take a whole lot to turn the tailcap out of lockout mode. the first few times i second guessed myself and figured that i forgot to lock it out, but i have been paying closer attention to it and last night it did the same thing. i dont think that this is a flashlight issue, but rather a carry issue, maybe it is a flashlight issue i dont know. has anyone had any similar experience and had a good resolution?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I assume that you may have one of the early Blackhawk pouches? Is it the one with the removable velcro'd flap? If it is one of the early ones they were quite tight to get the Gladius in and out of and because of complaints about hangups when trying to deploy the light were consequently redesigned.

Like TENMMIKE said I've not heard of this problem of AD which you describe. It may be that if you are using the velcro'd flap on the pouch some sort of rotational movement is taking place which is twisting the tailcap out of lockout mode? The Star flange usually prevents the body of the Gladius from turning in the pouch and this of course increases the chances that the tailcap will catch all the movement from a twisting pouch flap?

If you are not using the velcro'd flap and have removed it then I suspect that there would be insufficient friction from your clothing to cause the tailcap to pop out of lockout?

My own Gladius is quite difficult to accidentally bring out of lockout (I know, as I've tried to do it whilst experimenting) so I don't think it is a design issue.

I suspect if you change pouches OR perhaps try the new Blackhawk plastic holster for the Gladius you will find the problem is solved?

Doug

s.duff

Enlightened
thats a good idea. i should just try the new one. you are right, i do have the old one that took a very long time to break in to the point that i could take the light out easier, it is still a bit of a challenge, but much easier than it originally came. as for where i wear it. it is ony my left side hip and i dont keep anything else near it other than a key ring. i wear it slightly towards the rear. so im pretty sure that it happens when it rubs against the seat of the car. it sounds like a pretty good theory that the tight pouch with the flap is the culprit. i will give the new case a go and keep the thread updated. thanks guys.

TorchMan

Enlightened
This is slightly off-topic, but the reason my Gladius does not get EDCed is that I've had it turn on in my holster (a RipOffs) a couple times, but it was user error as I did not lock it out (at least I don't think I did). I drained the batteries once, so that thermal protection must have been put to good use!

Now I use it at night when I walk a friend's dog. The strobe, when pointed on the ground in front of me, really makes cars notice us and we usually receive a wide berth! Sometimes I take it with me into night clubs for service calls, but I have to keep checking it. When not locked out it's prone to turn on in truck, my guess is the seat belt might be the culprit.

I still think it's a great light, it's just different strokes for different folks. I need a light that will auto-lockout or not turn on easily when I forget (My U2 has never turned on during the many occasions I've forgotten to lock it.) to lockout.
I look forward to seeing if the new carry pouch resolves your issue.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
I carry my Gladius in a bag everyday in an open pouch with the tailcap exposed (in lock-out mode) to files, books and other things you would usually find in a bag. My tailcap has never gone out of lock-out.

I don't have a fresh explanation to offer you but I do have a temporary solution: You could have the light programmed to low-beam startup mode. So even if it does switch on in constant on mode, it'll be 400 hours before your batteries are completely drained. Well before then, you should have gone home, took off the holster and saw if your light was activated or not. You could also cut a small hole on the bottom of your holster so if the Gladius was accidentally activated, you'd tell from the spot of light bouncing off your pants or shoes.

If you really need maxiumum brightness in a hurry, momentary-on mode can be employed in a quick flick from lock-out mode. Less than a quarter second difference from activating constant on mode from lock-out.

Last edited: